1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV/Cable help, aka IJAG's an idiot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Mar 2, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So last night around 3:30 a.m., my television screen goes to black. I can still watch stuff on my Tivo, and when I change the channel, the new channel's info shows up in the little blue bubble in the upper right hand corner, but no picture.

I don't pay for my cable, my apartment complex does, so I called the office this afternoon when I woke up. They said they hadn't heard any other complaints, and seeing as to how it was 2:30 p.m. they were guessing it wasn't a problem.

Normally, when the cable loses a station or something, the screen goes blue and Tivo says it's lost contact with the cable. None of that here.

So what do I do? Is there anything I can do? Just hope it magically comes back? And I'm looking first and foremost for do-it-yourself type stuff, because I'm sure they won't be able to come out and look at it for a couple days.

2. Maybe the TV itself is gone.
    What those of us in Grandpa Simpson's HS class refer to as the tube burning out.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Would I be able to watch my Tivoed shows? See the channel mention up in the corner?

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Did you try the 'ol "unplug your box and wait 1 minute before plugging it back in" trick. That's what they always tell me when I call.

Also, make sure you're looking at the TV, not the microwave. Happens to me all the time.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't have a "box." I guess I just unscrew the cable cord and then screw it back onto the little nugget thing sticking out of the wall.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't leave the popcorn in too long or your TV will smell awful.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

No comment.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Try undoing the cable wire then putting it back in. Try unplugging everything, too, maybe it's a power cycle issue (though doubtful).

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you work for our IT Dept.?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Neither of those things worked.

How screwed am I? It's obvious (to me) that it's got to be a wiring problem inside the wall if the outside unplugging didn't change anything.

11. I am biting through the base of my thumb rather than comment on the phrase "outside unplugging."
    Ow.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

THAT'S the one you latch on to? Not the fact that I inexplicably said "I don't have a box" earlier?

Draft saved Draft deleted