1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV alert: "A Charlie Brown Christmas"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I'm surprised that in recent years, there hasn't been an outcry by atheists complaining that a show with a religious theme is being broadcasted on network TV.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not even a remotely religious person, and seeing the Linus speech in the special is absolutely one of my favorite parts of the Christmas season.

3. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Ditto. I'm agnostic/atheist, and I was raised in a non-Christian religious tradition, and I love that speech. I don't mind that shows with religious themes are broadcast on network TV. I do mind when government endorses a religion.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why would they care? The networks aren't owned by the government.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True, but they get their license from a government source (the FCC). I know they would get absolutely shredded if they did protest this show since it's so universally loved, but still, in this day and age of questioning any sort of religious prostelyzing in public, I'm surprised someone hasn't.

Interestingly enough, when creating the show, animator Bill Melendez actually told Schulz that they couldn't talk about the Bible on TV. Schulz countered, "If we don't do it, who will?" And that was back in 1965, which is why I'm somewhat surprised a complaint hasn't happened in today's more coarsened atmosphere. And it also reflects how great a show it is and how engrained it is in American culture that some atheist hasn't complained.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/135055823.html

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the charms of Peanuts is that it promoted human decency without slapping you upside the haid with it.

7. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

I got a rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted