1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turns in BBWAA card in protest over 'roid cheats

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Wevurski, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Pardon the self-promotion aspect of this post, but one of our guys put his money where his mouth is. As any BBWAA cardholder can tell you, this is quite a statement:   

http://www.insidebayarea.com/columnists/davenewhouse/ci_4188715

Talk among yourselves ...

2. A worthy sentiment, but the wrong form of protest. The way you express yourself is in not voting for McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, et al. I would worry about that vote going to somebody who would vote for a cheater.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That'll show 'em!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love the sentiment and feel the same way he does. But as Ralph Waldo pointed out, he could have had more of an impact by keeping his vote and trying to have a hand in making sure future enshrinees are decided in a just way.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

;D

That was of the few posts to make me laugh out loud, great work.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not really seeing the logic.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

One of Dr. Z's many regular columns that should be required reading for any sports journalist is when he discusses the Hall of fame selections. I always enjoy knowing that, while there are only 30-something voters, they have the opportunity for people to present potential enshrinees and argue them in front of the group. I like that there's a forum where the ideal at least is a give-and-take and exchange of ideas that hopefully lead to the best decisions being made.

Baseball's Hall of fame doesn't seem to have such a situation. Seems it would benefit from it.

Unless the hundreds get together to discuss? I'm not a professional baseball writer, so I honestly don't know.

Anyway, point is a single vote in a hall of fame situation wouldn't matter much. Nor would turning in his WAA card. Better if there were a better forum for an exchange of ideas and voices, away from prying eyes. There, such statements could be made.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You guys are missing the point.

It had nothing to do with "impact." It was a personal dilemma.

Not every decision in life is about trying to change the world.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dumbass of the highest order. HOF voting is just a small part of BBWAA membership. Plus, the HOF is just part of a private museum whose honorees include all sorts of scumbags beginning with Cap Anson. I think he just wants some attention.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was about as specious a piece of reasoning as you'll find outside a presidential press secretary. If Dave had resigned AFTER a suspected steroid user had been elected by the BBWAA, he would have taken a principled if in my opinion wrongheaded position I could respect. But none have, yet. To say I can't vote anymore because who knows who's guilty or innocent of what I consider cheating is an abdication of responsibility, not an act of conscience.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure the sanctimonious dude has voted in a few greenie users.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted