1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turned Down For NFL Combine Cred

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, you applied last year. You applied this year. So if they combine still exists in 2016, you might still want to apply next year.

So that's one reason not to napalm the bridge.

Boom was right about the Dale Carnegie book.

(Ha! I said Boom was right!)

Boom_70 likes this.
  2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

In summary:

League: We have reasons for the decision. Here they are. (An explanation follows.)

Applicant: Your reasons are dumb. Why'd you turn me down?

(repeat)

3. Didn't another poster here have issues getting credentialed last year?

4. icoverbucks

icoverbucks Member

Good suggestions by everybody ... I saw the comment about beat guys having access to coaches and GMs, and I do agree with that ... they need that time and they should have priority with those people. Other than the nearby NFL team(s), I don't worry about those guys ... I'm just there for the college athletes from our top college sites, Big Ten schools, etc.

Anybody who's covered it ... please let me know your thoughts on the set-up. This is the NFL. Not a low-budget outfit. They should be able to do anything, right? Like I said ... if it's a matter of cost, charge people for the cold cuts and the interweb.

I guess I'm challenging the we've always done it that way approach to everything you encounter with these type deals.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

When the combine was in the RCA Dome, getting head coaches, GMs and assistants was easier because they had to walk by the media and interview areas. With everything in Lucas Oil now and the underground tunnel between the convention center and stadium, all NFL personnel can avoid the media. So basically like everything else the access has become more restrictive.
    I did see one suggestion about having the interview in one of the concourses, but with all the interviews with prospects and the limited time they are available, that might not be practical. When medical begins to get backed up, no one knows what time all the prospects are going to be coming through. You also can't have all the media in one club area and the interviews in the other. Like I said earlier, if there was a way to move all the club official sites to another area, that opens up room in the main media workroom but I don't have any clue where they could put him.
    And frankly covering the combine has become a bigger pain each year. I don't mind going out and grabbing Subway or Jimmy John's while there but when they start checking bags and don't allow you to bring anything from the outside, it begins to get ridiculous.
    It is not a matter of costs, it is a matter of access and trying to do it in a limited area as well as making it work for all parties. This isn't the Super Bowl with just two teams. This is an event with the entire league there in a working capacity. With the exception of the evening interviews, almost everything is done in the stadium. So it's not as easy as saying "move the media back to the convention center."

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just copying for the official SJ record

wheels89 likes this.
  7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's not a cost issue. NFL makes billions. They're not worried about losing $10 on your food. It's just logistics. It's not only how many journalists can fit in the room -- there's a limited amount of questions to athletes in interview windows and they want to control which outlets get to ask those questions.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Turned down for what?

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yeah if you do want credentials, don't ever try the does ESPN need that many people there. They basically own the sports word these days, and since they give the NFL more offseason tv time than anyone else, the NFL is going to basically grant whatever ESPN wants. Heck if ESPN told the NFL not to gran credentials to anyone from Scout or Rivals, the NFL would probably say Okay.
    The college bowls are pretty much becoming the same way. ESPN is often given their own separate media center, work rooms, and food service. One particular bowl I was at sent a schedule that even said "ESPN lunch room xx-xx. Regular media will dine after that." And that room was closed until the very last ESPN person left it.

Unfortunately, I think the lack of credentialing you have is going to be more and more of a trend as even more and more websites pop up. You're fighting for space with TV, radio, newspapers and websites, and more and more expanded coverage of everything. The PR departments have to pick and choose much more selectively. You have to find ways to prove your worth.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's classic!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't ESPN own at least one bowl game outright?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN does not make it easy for the joe schmoes of the media world.

Draft saved Draft deleted