1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turgeon to A&M?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sharky22, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

The WWL has Mark Turgeon, he of Wichita State, potentially being the next head coach at Texas A&M, based on its scroll on SportsCenter.

If this happens, not a bad move up from a mid-major to a pretty good Big 12 program.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad you clarified that because my first thought was "why the hell would Sylvain Turgeon head to A&M?"

3. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

Well, you know, those crossovers from the NHL to collegiate basketball are getting too common these days.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oui, bien.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was thinking big Jack Turgeon or Turgeon Auto, he who kept Joey O'Brien on after he saved everyone from receptionist's crazed boyfriend.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was thinking of former Dallas Stars free-agent bust Pierre Turgeon.

[​IMG]

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A&M also retained a commitment from a five-star center, so combined with the hiring of Turgeon should help the Aggies remain competitive.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not a bad escape is more like it. The Shocks dropped precipitously in Valley play this season after an undefeated, top 10 start and there have been rumblings of turmoil coming out of there for the last two weeks or so. Two minor players are already on the way out with rumors of more to follow.

Not saying Turgeon couldn't have overcome any of it, but it was a potentially ominous sign after he signed a lengthy contract in the wake of Wichita's '06 Sweet 16 run.

On another topic, his quasi-paranoic/neurotic nature doesn't strike me as a good fit for College Station.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He actually was rumored for the Sooners job one year ago, that being less than two hours away from Wichita. Wouldn't surprise me if he left this time, though, for the reasons Bubbler stated above.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Katz actually wrote that A&M offered the job, then retracted it about an hour later saying they "likely will offer the job."

Oops.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted