1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa World copy editor/paginator

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Jun 4, 2012.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We've got another opening at the Tulsa World on our universal desk. Night Editor Bill Harper is retiring after a long career, and we promoted one of our own to fill his role.

That leaves us with an opening for a copy editor/paginator, and I'm hoping we find someone with a strong knowledge of sports for this position. I'm not in charge of the hiring on this one, but if you have any questions about the World or Tulsa in general, let me know.

Here's the posting at journalismjobs.com

The Tulsa World has an immediate opening for a full time copy editor / paginator position. The position’s shift is for nights and weekends from 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Qualified individual must have: (1) A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university (2) at least one (1) year of daily newspaper experience working or equivalent. (3) The position requires skills in editing news and sports copy, and the ability to work effectively on deadline. (4) Help an Assistant Editor with planning and placement of stories (5) Designing and building pages and write headlines (6) Computer literacy is a must including the use of a pagination system to design and build pages. (7) A successful applicant should possess excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Qualified individuals may send resume in (JPG, PDF or Word format) to: hr@tulsaworld.com or by fax to (918)581-7330 or by mail Attn: HUMAN RESOURCES, 315 S. Boulder Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74103. NO Phone Calls Please, EOE Only applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be considered. Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.

2. JHath

JHath Member

Congrats to Harper. He has been there a long, long time. Who was promoted off the sports desk?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There's no sports night desk anymore. All universal. John Walblay was promoted to Bill's spot. We've just lost so much of the old sports desk in the last couple of years to earlier promotions and the newsroom realignment last year that I'd like to see us beef up our depth.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

read the tulsa world quite often six or seven years ago. it was one of the better regional sports sections i've ever put my grubby little mitts on. enjoyed the read every time.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good paper and JR is good to work with.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

get off this bandwagon, asshole. i jumped on first.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll say JR is terrible at fantasy baseball but he's great on the desk so I will vouch for the World as well, even though it didn't need my two cents.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

In my defense, I have won one fantasy baseball title.

Draft saved Draft deleted