1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa 1B coach Mike Coolbaugh killed by line drive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, younger brother. Mike was one of those guys who kicked around for years -- was actually with 10 different organizations. Got to the big leagues with Milwaukee, spent a brief time with the Cardinals.

Unbelievably tragic. Can only imagine the torment the guy who swung the bat is dealing with now.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Horrible for his family and ... hell, for everybody there too.

Better coverage from the Tulsa World, despite the game being played in Little Rock.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070723_1_A1_SENWo62667&breadcrumb=Baseball

No, I don't know what's up with the headline.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

anyone know if this has happened before?

and, yeah, RIP.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just read that story and it's amazing... how that doesnt happen more often, I dont know.. RIP.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I briefly tried to look up via google if this had ever happened before. I did not find anything, but that does not mean it is not there.

I think I remember reading once that a runner was killed coming in from third on a batted ball, and didn't a few players (70-80 years ago) get killed because balls had become so dirty that they were difficult to see?

Matt Keogh was hit on the bench I think during a spring training game.

Everything I just mentioned was done with a wooden bat. I am sure in the high school and college ranks there are far more horror stories.

As far as a coach, I cannot remember anything.

You would think a baseball field would be one of a safest places on Earth. Freak, freak accident. RIP

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Player, singular: Ray Chapman.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've had to do stories like this three times (all three involved an athlete collapsing because of congenital heart defects) and it isn't easy. You don't go to the ballpark or the gym expecting to consult with a police spokesman at night's end and talking to the deceased's family the next day.

My condolences to the Coolbaugh family and to all involved.

A horrible tragedy and a reminder for anyone (even fans) close to where a live ball is likely to zip toward you at 100 mph to keep your head on a swivel.

Ray Chapman is the only player in a major-league game to die as the result of a traumatic injury, as far as I'm aware.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He was also in the Astros' minor league system not long before he left the game. Sad story. RIP.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How sad. I hope it's never happened before. Boy that points out how important it is to pay attention if you're a fan with a seat around the dugout.

From the Tulsa story:

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is not the best way to open a new ballpark. Even nowadays, baseball players are pretty damn superstitious. This is a pretty tough story to digest. I hope there are some people within Coolbaugh's circle that will help take care of the wife and kids.

RIP

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not to trivialize Coolbaugh's passing, but if you're Tino Sanchez, what's going through your mind now?

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I see some of the older coaches in baseball and it's a wonder there aren't more injuries. Very sad.

At the Yankee game yesterday, I noticed there was an older cop stationed in the front row right behind the home dugout. He was sitting in a seat but facing away from the field, and could have easily been nailed by a foul ball.

MLB has mandated nets in front of the dugouts and the NHL put up nets after a fan was killed. Should they require base coaches to wear helmets?

Draft saved Draft deleted