1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucson - g.a. reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by More hideous than Ben Seaver, Jun 27, 2006.

1. From the APSE site:

The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson has an opening for a full-time general assignment reporter.

Tucson is a growing market in the Pac-10 Conference and home to the University of Arizona, as well as three spring training teams, a Triple-A baseball team, 52 area golf courses, a community college and outdoor opportunities including mountain biking, cycling, running, swimming, hiking and mountain climbing.

Applicants must have at least one year of daily newspaper experience or internships if this would be their first job. The Star, owned by Lee Enterprises, is a 100,000-circulation daily.

The successful candidate will know how to turn enterprise, use public records and ferret out interesting stories – not just cover the game. The position includes nights and weekend work.

Tucson is about an hour north of the Mexican border and 90 minutes south of Phoenix. The mid-sized paper is consistently among the top award winners in the region for its size.

Send a resume, cover letter and work samples to:

Shannon Conner
    Sports Editor
    Arizona Daily Star
    4850 S. Park Ave.
    Tucson, AZ 85714

You may also apply via e-mail to: sconner@azstarnet.com.

I know Tucson's a very nice city, and not as insanely hot as Phoenix or Yuma. Does anybody know anything about this paper?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Good paper with some good people.

3. Pops

Pops Member

Dumb question time ... Is Shannon Conner a Mr. or a Ms.?

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Ms.

From APSE's "On The Move" column, December 2005:

5. Pops

Pops Member

should have given Google a few more tries. good find, bobcat.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tucson is as insanely hot as Vegas and Phoenix.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I will concur.
    Ex's folks lived there, and we'd spend our christmas breaks at their place at the base of the mountain. One time, it snowed from about 6 a.m til 7 a.m., and by noon, it was 80 degrees. I believe that was on Dec. 26.

8. Will this person spend a lot of time covering UA? Does the paper cover any of the Phoenix pro teams?

9. Has anyone worked for Ms. Conner before? What is her newspaper background?

10. I've worked with Shannon, and she is a great and thorough editor. I don't know much about the paper, but she would be fun to work for.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The last time this particular gig came open, there was coverage of UA women's sports - hoops and softball especially - involved. The paper used to staff the Diamondbacks, Suns and Cardinals with someone who lived in Phoenix, but that person got moved to Tucson and they dropped those beats. They still staff the playoffs for those sports, but very little with the regular season. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, any current Arizona folk who see this paper more than I do.

The old SE who moved on was, well, a bit overbearing. I've heard good things about Shannon, though.

12. Jeff Wendt

Jeff Wendt New Member

Anyone know a salary rate for something like this?

Just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted