1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Max retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Apparently this story ran a few weeks ago initially, but I read about it this week in The New Yorker (paywall).

http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelellsberg/

Good riddance, you piece of shit. Join Joe Francis in the Hall of Irrelevance.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have found him so unenjoyable, and so utterly unredeeming, that I can't even get worked up about the fact he has found success. He has his millions (if he indeed still has them) and has had no effect on me. I do find it to be a useful cultural barometer that I can dismiss people who like him, but that's about it.

However, this ...

He is changing his ways of the past, and—gasp!—becoming a mature adult male, one is who seeking a committed, long-term relationship, leading to marriage, with an intelligent, substantive, accomplished woman.

God bless the poor woman who falls for it, because her innermost personal and sexual secrets will be broadcast on the Internet soon enough.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Biggest disappointment I've seen from this phenomenon is that the majority, if not all of, the people who I know who have bought his book and enjoyed it were female.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I feel like some of the posters over on the Breitbart thread. I have no idea who this man is.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Somebody loaned me "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell." My thought after reading it: "Thank God I didn't pay for that." He's basically every asshole you knew in high school, only he never grew up.

7. Assholes can't retire. They just die.

This dude will ALWAYS be an asshole. Always.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Never heard of the guy until I watched the "beer in hell" movie, which had a couple of funny moments. And, one of the best-looking unknown actresses around -- Marica Dominczyk:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Marika+Dominczyk&qpvt=Marika+Dominczyk&FORM=IGRE#x0y270

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

And asshole AND a Dookie. Or is that redundant?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She was also the hot warehouse chick in "The 40 Year Old Virgin."

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nice tagline to the story, by the way ...

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know who he is. I remember reading through some of the stories on his website 5 or 6 or 7 years ago. I saw his book with the empty face, but was never going to buy it. Funny thing was, I was drawn to his ability as a writer. His stories were amusing, but his story-telling ability was what impressed me. Even if he did come across as a narcisist.

Reading that interview? I started snoring half way through the first page. He's not that interesting in therapy. He had a shtick. He womanized, drank and treated women like crap. Then he wrote embellished adventure stories about his dalliances. Take that way, and . ... zzzzzzz.I don't want to read about his childhood and how it relates to his psychoanalysis. I can get that from all my neighbors, and it is just as uninteresting.

Draft saved Draft deleted