1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Both are stories. Maybe a story similar to that is what he’s trying to stop. I’m speculating because I don’t know.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You don’t have to be objective. No one does. And, to be honest, few journalists are.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This is stunning to read on a journalism message board.

The vast, vast majority of journalists are objective. A relative few have financial - or otherwise - imperatives to muddle their objectivity. But your average journalist just wants to do the job the right way, and does so.

Mngwa likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

non-responsive, and kind of insulting.

you just said

which implies

a) some classic idea of objectivity and

b) some different Tucker Carlson version of objectivity

and I asked why I'm stuck with my version of classic objectivity (Platonic, no ironic quotes)

but Tucker Carlson is somehow entitled to a different "objectivity." (note ironic quotes, perhaps Aristotelean)

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You’re really reading into my post, man. Big time.

My hunch is Carlson is not remotely objective so his idea of it would be some cockeyed notion of it. Let’s move on.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nothing is final. Some nights Tucker is objective with his delivery. Other nights his delivery has an objective.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am curious how the Fox opinion shows are put together - like the MSNBC show, who is out front really doesn't matter - there are producers who decide what the "message of the day" will be. I'm guessing a lot of their ideas come from the internet - finding out what their tribes are agitated about, what's trending and how to spin it into a topic on their show. The mantra seems to be - Get Viewers Upset Enough That They Keep Watching. My mom is always going on about what CNN or MSNBC is saying about Trump - and she also mentions that she keeps getting - and replying - to Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes stuff. I'm guessing they use the same methodology. Get people so emotionally invested that they don't dare miss an episode.

Liut likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s fair. You’re right. I agree with that. If what you’re doing is including every single journalist across America, then I agree with you.

Journalists at many major news organizations, the ones to which most journalists aspire to work, do not strike me as objective. That’s a whole different group of people, often curated to those positions by leaders who desire subjectivity of one kind or another.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Great take!

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That used to be the case. In talking about the Washington press corps, cmon. You really believe that?

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'll say one thing. We need Fox news as a country. It's the only 'legit' outlet willing to discuss "the mob," and Black issues involving all the deaths in Chicago every weekend and Antifa. This is vital to have both sides of the story and without Fox, wow, Antifa rules unscathed? It's very likely.

12. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Not sure why I keep engaging with your posts, but no, we do not need fox news as a country. fox news has been actively detrimental to discourse, among many other ills.

Tighthead, Mngwa and matt_garth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.