1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I say I agree with that.

I also say the New York Times has turned into a full-on house organ for a progressive platform - that occasionally takes its foot off the gas - and too much deviation from it is punished from within by reporters. Agree?

Liut likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No.

But only because it's impossible to categorize and compare something as big and unwieldy and multi-voiced as an entire daily paper to an individual.

I think the Times is about as "liberal" as it's always been. I further think it's stumbling through lots of changes big and small. Some of which have to do with Trump. Many more of which do not.

But that makes sense, because the very nature of news and newsgathering is changing, too.

Still plenty of conservative voices on the Op Ed page.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't write liberal. I wrote progressive.

I don't think the NYT is particularly liberal at all at this point.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Carlson really tells the truth?.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since I'm not sure how you apply these labels, I'll hold off saying it's liberal or progressive.

Are you using 'progressive' interchangeably with 'radical?' Or 'leftist?'

Or in the old-school sense of midwestern Republican progressives like Fightin' Bob La Follette?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think you know.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't.

That's why I'm asking.

Historically, "progressive" has been applied to every kind of political movement from anti-corruption to temperance to Communism.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Joining Jimmy Kimmel. Strange bedfellows

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

When I think of Maggie Haberman or Peter Baker, I don't think either embodies toothless access journalism, but rather as a modern-day Antonio Gramsci.

Azrael likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not saying Carlson is getting "punished" but these "pre-planned" vacations always seemed to fall around the time O'Reilly would be in the news for something salacious. Figure a week away the news horde will move on to someone or something else to feast on and Tucker can carry on.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He’s going somewhere with white, sandy beaches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.