1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN ranking of 66 BCS coaches

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ogre 63rd?

Yes, you do... be interested to revisit these in a couple years when the entitled coach and the entitiled program have had a chance to mesh for more than a Spring game

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

39. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin

Looks like Bret can stew about something else as he tries to keep the Badgers in the top 10...

But at least he's looking down on his good buddy...

42. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame ;D

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Any survey that has Gary Pinkel as high as 43rd out of 66 has some 'splaining to do. And Bobby Johnson, I can see him ranking high. He gets a lot more out of mediocre talent than a lot of coaches would.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

There are so many things wrong with this list, it's not even funny.

Grobe and Beamer ahead of Spurrier?
    Kirk Ferentz ahead of Urban Meyer?
    Tom O'Brien's a good coach, but 13th?
    Les Miles at 42?
    Perhaps Charlie Weis is no Frank Leahy, but he's sure as shit a better coach than most of the 15 guys in front of him.
    And Karl Dorrell's a fair bit better than 48th, I'd say.

What are the criteria for this?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whatever Tom Dienhart felt like pulling out of his ass the day he wrote the column, I would venture to guess.

Although, in fairly general terms, I agree with a lot of the picks.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I think Saban's too high at No.8.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't consider what he did a "turnaround."

They slumped to a 5-6 team when limited to 13 scholarships.

When the sanctions were lifted, he simply took advantage of the nation's most fertile recruiting ground, as the coaches who preceded him did.

An excellent job. But the slump could have been predicted (after the sanctions), as could have been the "turnaround". Each more inevitable than incredible.

What Schiano did is a real turnaround.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Ohio State 34, Notre Dame 20 - Fiesta Bowl (1-2-2006)
    Michigan 47, Notre Dame 21- at home (9-23-2006)
    USC 44, Notre Dame 24 - at USC (11-25-2006)
    LSU 41, Notre Dame 14 - Sugar Bowl (1-3-2007)

Weis 4-5 against ranked teams, with four of the above being absolute drubbings on national TV. The Irish didn't belong in the BCS either of the past two seasons. They were not one of the 8-10 best teams in the country. No fucking way.

Points allowed in Notre Dame history ... Weis checking in at 3 and 4 the past two years ... And according to Rivals.com, just five of his 18 signees are defensive players, while three are "athletes" who I guess could play either. Nice job filling the holes, Charlie.

I don't love this word, but Weis is overrated. Really, really overrated. And that's not to say he's a bad football coach. He's a good football coach, not not a great one, and certainly nowhere near as great as ND fanboys claim. What the hell has he ever done as head football coach? Nice home win two years ago over Tennessee's first sub-.500 team since 1988.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Your points are taken. However . . .

. . . those four drubbings weren't just against "ranked" teams.

They were against arguably Top 5 teams (or higher).

I wish I could find the chart, because it was truly fascinating.

But even the greatest coaches of all time struggled to post a .500 record against "Top 10 teams" (by that I mean teams that FINISHED the season in the Top 10, as opposed to Top 10 when the game was played).

JoePa, for example, is only winning at a 30-percent clip.

And nobody is doing any better than the high 50s.

10. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Nobody on this thread has said that Weis is one of the top coaches in the country, but you can't possible argue that he is only the 42nd best.

Please try to make an argument that Joe Tiller is better. Joe Tiller didn't even have a winning record against Bob Davie.

Nitpicking by one or two sports is stupid but I think Weis is off by at lest 10 spots. Or do you really think that he isn't at least as good as half of the other coaches in college football?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I hate me some Gators, but I love that sign on the wall at the Swamp. Next to all the SEC titles is listed "Best team in the SEC, 1990" That was Spurrier's first year there, when they were on probation. Cracks me up every time.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You could name 41 coaches with better college head-coaching resumes than his. I'm not saying he's the 42nd-best, but what has he proven?

Draft saved Draft deleted