1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to get back into sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiBoy, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Apologies if this has been posted already. But I'm looking to get back into the industry. I worked at a daily in Texas for about two-and-a-half years and got out to try coaching high school football. A little over two years later and I want to go back into reporting full-time. I know the industry is hurting right now. I always have an eye on the jobs board here. But I wanted to see if there are any resources out there that I can't see on surface level that can help. At the very least I figure I can get some advice, any of which is appreciated.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

"More than" instead if "over" is the best advice I can give you.

More importantly, are you willing to relocate? If you are, and your clips are OK, you shouldn't have to wait too long to find a gig.

I've been out of newspapers for about three years now but still in journalism, and I refuse to dissuade anyone from starting or restarting at one. It's where I learned the most, but that was a different environment than most papers now.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Answer one question and I'm being serious, not snarky: Why?

HanSenSE and Gator like this.
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't figure out why anyone would want to get back into this business, especially at a lower level at a small daily. Unless long hours and no pay raises appeals to you. And like Moddy, this is not me being snarky, this is just plain ol' reality.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

In order to coach, most places want you to teach. I have absolutely no desire to teach. I just want to coach, but coaching in high school by itself pays less than journalism.

And I miss reporting. That's really it. I expect plenty of snark in this thread and that's fine. Just figured I'd see what everybody has to say.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it! Really. Don't do it. The business is dying and the market sucks.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hopefully you'll get some decent answers among all the bullshit ones.

I think every SE/hiring manager worth a shit understands the state of the business and won't hold your efforts to do something else against you. If they do, you don't want to work for them anyway. Opportunities ARE out there. Fewer of them, they don't pay much in a lot of instances. But they are there. I suppose you're willing to pick up and move? Keep scouring job boards, keep applying, be ready to explain why you left and why you want back and something will pop.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would think having a coaching background and being able to break down plays, formations, etc., would be a huge plus. I wouldn't downplay that on your resume or cover letters at all.

WriteThinking likes this.
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not trying to make it snarky, but think a better idea would be talk to other coaches who don't teach and see what their jobs are. In NJ it's the same thing, most hs coaches are teachers. I know a few though who are cops, firemen or have their own business -- landscaper, plumber.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

Have you tried contacting the paper where you used to work? There might be openings. Also, the editors there know your work and might be able to send you to someone who's actively looking -- and/or recommend you.

Furthermore, after coaching for two years, maybe you encountered some new outlets/reporters/media. Try them.

Bottom line: don't overlook the connections you already have. It might not lead to the job of your dreams, but it could be a valuable starting point.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this. Leaving to coach, particularly with a school team, is a good thing, for the first-hand, up-close-and-personal experience of it. And you weren't out of the business so long that it'd be that hard to get back in, as long as you have some decent clips. It might take a little time to get another regular, full-time journalism position. But perhaps you could use the upcoming fall season well, and try to do some good gamers and some solid freelance feature/news stories, just so that you have a couple of more recent clips/blogs/videos, etc. that you could provide, for the sake of that, and just to show you're really serious about making the effort to get back in.

Because it might take some of that.

I know I still periodically think about getting back to sports reporting/writing, even if just on a part-time or freelance basis, which I know I could do pretty easily if I wanted to. There are enough local media outlets where I am, and I still know enough people around here that I would probably just need to reconnect in order to do it. But then, I think about it, seriously, and remember all the calls, and waiting on calls, and the constant-ness of blogs, and the need to write and video everything, and I just go, "Nah...I guess I don't really feel like it."

Or, at least, so far, not enough to actually go out and really do it again.

Know what I mean? Think about it.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Freelancing is a whole different matter because you can make your own rules. I've freelanced regularly since getting out of the business and have never had to deal with the things you mentioned -- well occasionally the phone call thing, but not very much since I don't do a lot of stories other than covering events. If you don't like an assignment or it seems like too much trouble, you can always turn it down or just not seek it in the first place.

There's really no reason not to keep those connections open and grab freelance assignments when you feel like it.

Dave Royse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted