1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to follow seligian logic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I remember this happening in the first game of the 1982 NLCS. The game was called after three or something like that.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Following Selig Logic 101 would cause confusion in anyone.

My most recent AP agate for the World Series schedule looks to have games six and seven on dates TBA instead of Wednesday and Thursday. If they get game five finished tonight and the Rays win, wouldn't they just pick it up with game six Thursday and seven on Friday or is it not that easy?

(I know, Selig Logic 101....it's not that easy.)

3. Yeah, good point.

Except that Lidge didn't blow the save in the AS Game.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Scott Boras proposed making it a nine-game Series with the first two at a neutral site.

Horrible idea. The playoffs are long enough, with all the days off during the LDS to get all the games on national TV. It's almost as bad as the NBA with TNT.

The neutral-site part of the idea, though, I could live with, as long as all the games were there. If you went two neutral and then 2-2-1 the rest of the way, one team would get no home games if it was a 4-0 sweep. You could go 1-1-1-1-1 with home field the rest of the way instead, but then you play deep into November with all the travel days.

I'm afraid the Series will soon be pushed entirely into November anyway, like the Super Bowl got pushed into February. Because of sweeps.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

All Boras wants is a way to get more money for his clients, and by adding more playoff games he could jack is asking price.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

oops. i didn't do my proper vetting and fact checking. m'bad.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think MLB did everything right. You can't not start a game at 8:30 or whatever because the radar looks dicey at, say, 10:30 (hurricane warnings and the like obviously are different). And you can't push a start back because of "if, it might, but..." Some people brought up golf tournaments, saying they can move up tee times to beat the weather. Well, that's golf. Not exactly prime-time TV.

If Selig said the forecast he had called for a tenth of an inch of rain or whatever, that was his forecast. Newsflash: forecasts can be wrong. But they can be wrong either way.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Start the regular season in late March. Put all those games on the WC or in warm climes, like they used to do. If that's not feasible hold more than a few games in Japan or Mexico or Australia, for God's sake. Anything to end the regular season after the third week of September. I like the wild card and the LDS, but the series have been shit for the last few years and the whole thing isn't worth this kind of aggravation.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Looks like it will be 39 degrees at game time, but feel like 31. How about some baseball tonight, boys?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How about a foul ball just above the hands? That'll only sting for about four innings.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think Selig's decision was absolutely right to play nine innings, but he should have done a better job of getting the message out. Why didn't the media know that? Why didn't the players? (Some of them apparently didn't)

If he had let everyone know before the first pitch that would be no rain-shortened game, they could have easily thrown the tarp out there an inning earlier, when the weather got really bad, without causing all sorts of unneccesary alarm bells.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Seligian Logic would be a great name for a garage band ...

Draft saved Draft deleted