1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Brandon Stanton has a new compilation book out, so he's doing press.

Heard this interview the other day:

In 10,000 Snaps Of The Shutter, A 'Photographic Census' Of A City

Basically a puff piece.

Isn't asked at all about whether the stories he includes are true.

You know, I think what Humans of New York does is highlights maybe the other tones of our lives that people aren't so willing to express, or tragedy that they might not have told anybody else. Then, there's somebody in my audience that's reading that and says, "You know what, I'm going through that exact same thing, and I was afraid to talk about it also."

Those are the stories I feel proudest about.

Songbird likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

$40,000 from a public university to give a graduation speech:

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I thought that was well understood.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Is HONY losing steam? Seeing more "Lobe What Matters" lately. "People of Boston" fizzled out.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. YankeeFan

I'm not buying this story? Anyone else have any doubts?

Songbird likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I couldn't give a shit. What a bore.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The president of the United States lies every day that ends in "y". *Now* you're concerned about honesty?

9. YankeeFan

It truly is boring, and she portrays herself as pretty dumb, and weak, but I don't believe it.

To few details, and looks designed to promote the book she has coming out.

And, the only reason to run the article is because she learned an important truth about herself, and is now happier than ever, which also seems too convenient.

Of course, I did not win him back. But here’s another lesson I have learned about winning: not just how unstable it is or the way it can shift to loss, but how it can eventually transform into triumph all over again.

How would it have been, I think now, if that trip had really been the beginning of my married life to the man in Boston? It would have been delirious, ecstatic. Ten days of happiness, followed by a month, or two months, or a year of contentment.

And then, one by one, the problems the man predicted on that Skype call would have come to the fore: he needed to focus on his career and decide for himself what he wanted to do.

And didn’t I, really, prefer women to men? And didn’t I, really, have an aversion to the straight and strait-laced married life I would have signed up for in the giddiness of love? My mood swings and impulsiveness would have frustrated him. His caution and risk aversion would have made me feel stifled. One of us would have been driven crazy by the way the other chewed or swallowed or breathed. In short, it would not have worked out. That win was never going to last.

I am in love with someone else now, a woman, and happier than I have ever been. When I think back to the honeymoon, to the hotels and the good food, the gifts and the lovely, dusty luxury of it, I don’t feel any loss at all. Those days my best friend and I spent in India, wandering through a choreographed, red-rose, moonlit version of romance without knowing the routine, was a premonition of queerness before my own queer life got underway.

I could not have foreseen, on that lovelorn journey, that I would look back on it as one of the greatest examples of having it all. I want to crow to my heartbroken former self: “You got the honeymoon, but you didn’t have to have the husband.” What a coup! What a win!

10. YankeeFan

In case you haven't noticed, certain stories interest me.

This story is just too convenient, and makes me wonder if the Times checked it out.

I'm sure there are some aspects that are true. She probably did break up with a long distance boyfriend,

But, she did get the Times to promote her new book:

Nell Stevens lives in London. Her new memoir, “The Victorian and the Romantic,” about long-distance heartbreak and desire is published this month.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't give a shit about her.

12. YankeeFan

So, why reply?

We've got a woman who writes fiction, and has a degree in, and is a lecturer on, creative writing.

She can't get the work she wants to write published, so she "braids" her personal narrative into the work, with some exaggerations, and gets it published.

She does seem to be good at self promotion though.

Draft saved Draft deleted