1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the story isn't true, it's not the kid who's a fraud.

But, again, I don't even think it was intended to be taken as true, but the media is treating it that way.

It's art. It's politics. It was created to draw reaction.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Again, who is saying that it's not true? What proof have they provided that it's not true? Not just rumors, or speculation. Proof.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who said I had proof?

It's an open question.

What do you think? I don't think it's true.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Baron, I'm gonna need proof that you're not full of shit when you talk about, well, pretty much anything. Not information from Google. Proof.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't get this. He is talking about a post from five days ago, not critiquing the whole site. What's wrong with that?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Their whole schtick is essentially this post. Here is their most recent update:

“I’m trying to beat cancer for the fifth time. The first time was in 1997, and the doctor told me that I’d only live for six months. I’ve had it in my armpit, my knee, my back, and twice in my groin. Life keeps throwing me curveballs. I keep hitting them.”

Or: "I just have this phone because I like small phones. It’s not really a good symbol of conservation. Conservation isn’t some huge sacrifice. It doesn’t mean you can’t have nice things. I’ve got a nice flat screen TV at home, great furniture, a sauna, sporting goods, and all the clothes I can wear. Conservation just means that you aren’t constantly getting rid of perfectly good stuff to replace it with stuff that you don’t need. A perfect table is perfect for hundreds of years. You don’t need a new one every couple years. Our culture is called ‘materialistic,’ but that’s not even correct, because ‘materialism’ implies that we value our possessions. And we don’t. We get rid of them, then we destroy Africa to get more shit that nobody needs. There’s no more pressing problem right now than the depletion of the earth. The earth can tolerate a lot of punishment, but if there isn’t a change in the way we consume, there is no way it can survive. We will gladly give money help people in need. But we can’t equate the act of conservation with helping billions of people for generations to come.”

It's always single sourced, left-leaning statements. I just find it kind of odd that it's been brought up now. Like a drunk uncle stumbling upon the fact that the Kardashians exist or something.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Introducing the new sj.com mascot:

[​IMG]

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Humans of New York is navel-gazing pap.

doctorquant and sgreenwell like this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, OK, but this one is a much-discussed post from five days ago. I've seen it about 10 times on my FB feed.

I still don't get why YF bringing it up is some violation of newsworthiness or cultural knowledge.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is that even a real organization? Sounds like a spinoff of The Human Fund.

At least we've solved the mystery of where Caleb Hannan went.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's just social content. Posts like that are all they do.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's a hat for you to wear.

(FYI: I got the pic from a Yahoo search)

Draft saved Draft deleted