1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Grit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How was it?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

All right, that's it.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This reminds me of those, ahem, sticklers who keep telling us that a decade begins, for instance, with the year 2001 and includes 2010, rather than running from Jan. 1, 2000 through Dec. 31, 2009.

Fine. Great. Beat it. No one's listening.

Good luck getting the American film-going public to consider this a "re-imagining" rather than a remake.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Terrific interview with Bridges in today's Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/908517--jeff-bridges-from-the-dude-to-the-duke

“I was curious why these guys wanted to make that movie again and Ethan corrected me and said, ‘No, we're not making that movie, we're making the book as if there was no movie ever made,'” said Bridges. Not being familiar with Charles Portis' 1968 American novel, Bridges read it. “And then I saw what they were talking about. It's such a wonderful book.”

There's a huge demographic (say, everyone under 30) that probably hasn't heard of the Wayne version of the movie. They're going to see it because the trailer is terrific and it stars Josh Brolin and Matt Damon.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thumbs up from Ebert: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101221/REVIEWS/101229997

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was overbooked by a couple hundred tickets and we didn't get seats.
    So, in short, I haven't seen it yet.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They almost always do that. I used to go to a ton of screenings and if you weren't there an hour early you weren't getting in.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'll probably watch it when it comes on HBO down the line just because it's on, but I don't think I'd spend money to see it. No matter how good it's supposed to be, John Wayne is Rooster Cogburn, end of story.

If the younger generation doesn't embrace John Wayne, it's their loss. He simply is the greatest American movie hero ever. He fought the Mexicans. He fought the Indians. He fought the Japs. He fought the Germans. He fought bad guys. He fought fires. He fought the VC. (not taken with movies where he fought the South, but you can't have everything.)

Jimmy Carter issued the medal that said it all: John Wayne, American.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never read the book, never saw the original movie, but this was well worth it.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

John Wayne version is about to start on TCM.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty much dead on. Watched it on TCM tonight. It's not bad, but it is way out of date for its time.

It's hard to believe True Grit came out within a month of The Wild Bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted