1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Grit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are several Coen brothers movies I don't really like (Barton Fink, the Hudsucker Proxy, Burn After Reading), but when their period pieces (No Country for Old Men, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?) have generally been outstanding.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Burn After Reading' was alright. Not up to the standard of most of their other work, but still better than 98 percent of American movies.
    I really liked 'The Hudsucker Proxy,' and 'Barton Fink' is my favorite Coen brothers movie.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not a thick book. You could knock it out in a few hours. Portis — a former newspaperman — is woefully ignored. Partly because he's a bit of recluse.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten a copy yet. Maybe I'll check out if Borders has it in stock when I do some Christmas shopping.
    I'm reading Larsson's Millenium trilogy, and I want to finish the third before we get the movie.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I never thought of that before but I generally agree. Miller's Crossing is fantastic as well.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The original was kind fun but kind of cheesy. Comes off in parts as not-so-scary episode of Gunsmoke or something. Also some really bad acting (Glenn Campbell).

This looks like it could be better.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And for the umpteenth time, as said on various threads, this isn't a remake of the movie. It's a re-imagining of the book. Its original source material is the book, not the movie.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are you a flak for Paramount?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe we are 3 short of an umpteenth, so I don't appreciate your tone, hair-splitter.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so this is a remake of the john wayne movie, right?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. The Kim Darby version.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Compared to what was happening in American film making in the late 60's, True Grit was hopelessly old fashioned. It was about ten years behind the times.

Wayne's Academy Award was basically a Lifetime Achievement Award because the old studio's way of life was dying, if not already dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted