1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trouble down Newhouse way

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 30, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Newhouse News Service is closing its Washington DC bureau
    http://ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4583

Is this a sign of things to come at Newhouse-owned papers?
    Who knows.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They've already had a few voluntary buyouts, as well.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's got to be the worst corporate phrase...well, if not ever, then at least this year.

People, when they volunteer to leave, don't get buyouts.

these "voluntary buyouts" were given to fired people.

4. Clever username

Company has a no layoff policy, so no, they weren't.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Corporate speak.

They were encouraged to leave. I've quit jobs before. I haven't gotten a cent.

6. Clever username

Regardless, my point was that there have been other signs that Newhouse is cutting back.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Newhouse took a big hit in New Orleans because of Katrina.
    Then the econmy and newspaper problems led to a big drop in Star-Ledger advertising revenue and circulation.
    The two cash cows of the Advance Publications newpaper division took major hits.
    Knowing a little bit about how the Newhouse family operates, this is not corporate suits screwing their people. This is a family owned business taking huge hits.

8. Buck Hill

Buck Hill New Member

I work for a paper in this chain. It is not corporate speak. They treat people uncommonly well even when trimming staff.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll take your word on it. I still see this and see people who didn't want to leave...leaving.

You'll have to forgive my auto-skepticism mode. Sign o' the times.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Samuel Irving Newhouse, Jr. (born November 8, 1927), nicknamed Si Newhouse, is the chairman and CEO of Advance Publications, which, among other interests, owns Condé Nast Publications, which owns magazines like Vogue, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker among many others. He is the son of Samuel Irving Newhouse, Sr., founder of Advance Publications. His grandson, S.I. Newhouse IV, appeared in the documentary Born Rich.

Newhouse attended the Horace Mann School in New York City. He is a billioniare with an estimated net worth of $8.5 billion, and he is currently ranked the 37th Richest American by Forbes Magazine in 2007.

11. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Sure. Like the 20-plus-year reporting veteran in New Orleans who was told he was being moved to the circulation department. He retired, which was of course the idea. Call it what you like, but when they want to get rid of you, they do.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

It's pretty telling about the quality of the Newshouse News Service that The Associated Press reported the Washington bureau was closing, not NNS itself.

I'm not sure what 24 journalists were doing in that bureau, but it certainly wasn't producing copy daily.

Draft saved Draft deleted