1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Florence threatens ... a lot of fish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: New depression expected to become Florence, possible East Coast threat

The computer models would be much more disquieting for South Floridians.

Why even look at the maps.... we're fucked again.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Of course, what happens after the 5-day period is still to be determined. Depends on that high and any upper-level lows around. In 10 days this could be a Cat 5 sitting on Miami or an extratropical low racing towards Iceland.

Plus the storm is still in its early stages, and if the center reforms north, it might get sucked up by a trough and sent to a wavery grave.

As always, prepare, pay attention to advisories and if Jim Cantore knocks on your door asking for a flashlight and Triskets, just swallow the gun and end it right on your porch. That guy's always bad news.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Florence ... that sounds like a bad ass name for a hurricane.

Gordon ... not so much. That one has Canada written all over it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A hot wet windbag named Florence or a hot wet windbag IN Florence...
    I can picture both...

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that's like the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.
    And on a side note: Do you work for the freaking Weather Channel? You don't see "extratropical low racing towards Iceland" very often.
    And I'm a little disappointed on one has put "the seas turn red" and "Aunt Flo" in the same sentence.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nah, I'm just a weather nerd/meterologist wannabe. Got fascinated by tropical systems since we had a near miss in 1984 and again with Glorida the next year, thought I'd be a weatherman when (if) I grew up, but alas, too much math and science ripped up my dream like wind shear. I used to work for the same company that owns TWC, so I could look at my check every two weeks and say "hey, John Hope and Jim Cantore get a check just like mine. Just with 30 times more money."

Side note: Landmark Communications had a company-wide drawing where the winner got to go to any of Landmark's holdings. Winner? None other than Danger Jim, who chose to visit the TV station they owned in Vegas. This was before he became the Official "We're Fucked" Bellweather, so nobody out there panicked.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Instead of Cantore, it would be better if Stephanie Abrams showed up. The Weather Channel seems to put her on the edge of the storm, and she's hot.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

7-10 days, huh?

Great way to commemorate the fifth anniversary of 9/11.

10. Re: New depression expected to become Florence, possible East Coast threat

Most famously, the October Gale -- aka The Perfect Storm -- confounded everyone by turning back south in a retrograde fashion.
    Bad news for Clooney.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The 2 more recent models Columbo posted earlier have Flo jogging more north. Looks like Jeb can zip up his TV makeup bag for now.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Lieutenant posted two models?

I wish I had.... nothing like a hopping a couple of sheilas [/irwin honorarium]

Draft saved Draft deleted