1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Fay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

That was horrific.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If he shows up in Ulysses, you're fucked.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I remember is Katrina was projected for the longest time to go straight up the Florida panhandle, and late that Friday the projected path changed to the west. My guy says he thinks the models and forecasters for Fay will eventually reflect a more westerly path as well.

We'll know much more by sunrise tomorrow.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If this is even a Cat 1 at landfall, I will be surprised.

5. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Those 11 a.m. models look similar to the path Charley took after it moved over Cuba. Charley intensified from 90 knots to 125 knots in the 24 hours before its Florida landfall, so I wouldn't be shocked to see this become a strong Cat 1 or a Cat 2 by landfall.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing, Cameron. Looking much more like a Charley than a Katrina at this point. All depends on how much time the storm spends lingering over Cuba.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

If I remember correctly, Charley was south of Jamaica then turned north as it was south of Cuba. The scary thing with Charley was how quickly it intensified off the coast of Florida, then made its unexpected right turn into Charlotte Harbor and Punta Gorda. Let's hope there's no repeat of that strengthening scenario. The Florida Straits and Gulf of Mexico are very warm, so it's definitely a possibility, though the NHC only gives a 3 percent chance of being a Cat 4 and 9 percent chance of being a Cat 3. So it stands a higher percentage of being dissipated or a tropical depression as it does of being a major hurricane. At least at this point. Stay tuned.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whenever Johnny D. starts a thread about the weather, it makes me tremble.

9. Johnny Dangerously

A Charley (or lesser hurricane) could do far more damage to New Orleans with the necessary factors in place and the right angle of landfall than Katrina did. People forget, but Katrina made landfall to the east of New Orleans. It did not directly strike New Orleans.

A direct blow from a Charley or lesser hurricane at the most unfortunate time and location of landfall (the eye to the southwest of the trouble zone) could create far more storm surge and the attendant problems and casualties.

We might have to rename it the Big Ragu.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. KG

KG Active Member

Didn't Katrina hit parts of Florida as just a Cat 1 before it mammothized in the gulf?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Draft saved Draft deleted