1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Chris

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, Rita (end of September) was a real exception to the rule.

If I was in the eastern half of the Gulf, I'd be watchful. Not nervous, but watchful. After all, it's still just a tropical storm right now and there's always a chance it won't grow past a small Cat 1. The same high pressure bubble that's making me sweat in Texas right now, though, may take this thing up and send it on an Ivan-like path.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. i said it's a possibility. Rita showed that. I'm just saying on average, by August, hurricanes start shifting towards the central and east Gulf of Mexico for landfall.

Anyways, I'd do what Johnny_D says if you live near the coast. Get your supplies now. The earlier the better. And, if you're in Alabama, I'm pretty sure this weekend they're doing the no sales tax or some kind of discount on back to school supplies. Some of that stuff can be used during hurricanes, though. Like batteries. Anyways, stay tuned.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well, we've got our supplies for the rest of the season (gotta love costco) about the only thing we don't have is gas for the three 5-gallon gas cans. no need to fill up until it's a day or two away because i don't want 15 gallons of gas sitting in my shed for any longer than necessary. and the house will be shuttered while we're gone.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looking at that track I can't help but think that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Chris to take a turn right for NOLA.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Have you never eaten at the Sandwichman's Deli in Wilmette, Illinois?

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sweet. hurricane watch in the bahamas. the season is upon us, i guess. fuck. (i know technically the season started june 1 but august through october is the REAL hurricane season)

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Blitz, the only time I've been to Illinois is when I switched planes in Chicago.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yep, here we go again...could go right over the Keys...but could turn north.

It's hard for me to fathom that there was a time that if you lived in South Florida, you kind of thought the idea of a hurricane coming by was kind of interesting, like it'd be a interesting experience.

These storms are a complete pain in the ass.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine is getting married Saturday and heading for the Bahamas on Sunday. Looks like the storm will miss the Bahamas, but his travel plans could be fucked up pretty good.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I used to feel that way . . . right up until the day I bought a house.

12. The Irishcheesehead clan is driving to Florida on Friday for a fun-filled week of watching the Weather Channel. Great.

Draft saved Draft deleted