1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"tropic thunder": late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 7, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

finally watching it now on cinemaxhd. 40 minutes in and it seems great. is it? :D ??? 8)

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Not great, but certainly good. Cruise needed that.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, man, were downey and cruise tree-men-dous. credits rolling now. ;D ;D ;D

agree. not great but good. ;)

4. First, take a big step back... and literally, FUCK YOUR OWN FACE! I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia Jack is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down in a Godly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking about a scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!

[Tosses phone to lackey]

(Calmly) Find out who that was.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Downey was awesome.

I know who I am!! I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude!

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I fucking loved this movie. From Alpa Chino hawking 'Booty Sweat' all the way through Tom Cruise dancing to Ludacris, it was friggin' hysterical.

"Everybody knows you never go full retard."

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and part of the brilliance that was Robert Downey's performance was his line, "I don't break character until I finish the DVD commentary," and then he did just that, playing Lincoln Osiris in the commentary.

If not for Ledger playing the Joker, I would have wanted Downey to win best supporting actor. An outstanding performance and one helluva year for him, with Thunder coming on the heels of Iron Man.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bizzare engaging movie.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Absolutely.

Line of the movie, to me:

"What do YOU mean, 'you people'?"

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I really wanted to love this movie based on what I had heard, but it just didn't do it for me. I thought there were a few really fun bits, but as a whole it didn't keep my attention and dragged on too long in my opinion.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No doubt. Gets me every time.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I just like that Shockey wasn't willing to wait until the end of a movie he was watching to get a sense from other people whether it was good or not. So often, if I'm unsure during a movie, I'll have to wait until after the movie's over to ask other people if the movie's good or not.

I take Cruise far less seriously in anything he does after seeing him in this movie. That's a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted