1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tronc > Tribune Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Oct 4, 2018.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Moved from the "old" thread:

According to a contact of mine who's out of a job after today and is contemplating a future as a chicken farmer (yes, really!), what's left of the Sun Sentinel's copy desk is shut down and everything will be produced in Chicago starting with the Sunday paper. Means nothing in the sports section will be designed or copy-edited on site. Can't let that pass without saluting what that sports desk did over the years (especially before 2011 or so when it was a "real" sports desk). An unbelievable amount of talent passed through there and did some great work. Would take forever to list everyone who made a contribution (though suffice to say that frequent Sportsjournalists contributor BTExpress is a Hall of Famer in my book).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Can totally second that. That S-S desk was a juggernaut, as was the competing Miami Herald's.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

RIP. I wonder if the McClatchy merge will reinvigorate the desk.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Hard to reinvigorate any desk when the workload keeps getting heavier.

Miami, I've heard, is down to one full-time copy editor in Sports. Any others are freelancers or newsies.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Aren't you getting a little bit ahead of the news? In any case, sadly, it probably wouldn't. McClatchy is moving to the same model; I imagine it already exists to a large extent.

7. Severian

Maybe? The merge is 90 percent happening.

8. Severian

No surprise. The Herald is too top heavy. Fire some of the useless editors and hire more sports copyeditors, especially if the paper is selling Sports-only subscriptions.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I left the S-S in August 2011, one month after Hartford's jobs were outsourced to Chicago and we were told, "Florida (Orlando and Fort Lauderdale) is next . . . within the next year."

I'm glad for my former colleagues that it took seven years, and not one. But I never found out exactly what happened to wreck the scheduled timetable.

That desk was so good I felt like a .220 hitter much of my time there. But it's 26 years I'll always cherish.

Hermes and Bronco77 like this.
  10. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

A former copy desk chief from Buffalo says you weren't as good as you think you were and wants to know how you kept your job. ha!

Bronco77 likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Too bad Miami is the lone holdout and is not among the papers the McClatchy publishing center produces (probably because of el Herald). I'd get to work with him again (albeit mostly by Google chat).

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

No doubt he said that while on his way to one of his dozen or so smoke breaks (two cigarettes per break). But even though his management style was good for a few laughs, he was one of the big reasons that desk was so good for so long (it's still amazing he survived in that job, perhaps the toughest in the newsroom, for 15 years). I worked for him for five years and really enjoyed it. Always figured it was a lot like playing for Earl Weaver on the old Orioles.

Draft saved Draft deleted