1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triple Crown winner failed drug test

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So, if you’re filling a horse with steroids and PED’s, can the horse still fuck?

Does this affect the stud value?

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One more reason why Mike Trout should have won the MVP over Miguel Cabrera in 2012.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not, um, justifying the dismissing of the violation, the not following of California racing rules, or the ensuing easing of penalties for scopolamine. And I get the apparently insular nature of relations in high-powered horse racing.

But I wonder about a couple of things. Was Justify already a favorite to win the Kentucky Derby by April of that year? Because he didn't run as a two-year-old at all, and was clearly a late-bloomer. Was everyone already so sold on the idea that he might win the Triple Crown?

Also, I've not read or seen ingredients, but how prevalent is scopolamine in horse food? Is this actually not a far-fetched possibility, and a legitimately viable source of such a drug reading? I wouldn't think so, and kind of think Baffert must just coming up with an excuse. But I'd be curious about it, as it seems like the California board is comprised of horse people, who might know about such things, and if Justify were not yet a favorite for the Triple Crown, why would they necessarily be so protective of him as to collude to make sure he gets into the Derby?

I'm pretty certain that before his Triple Crown achievement, Justify would not have fetched $60 million in stud fees.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

“Late-bloomer”

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I watched the attached replay of the Santa Anita Derby which Justify dominated. The track announcer said it was yet another exhibition by a "supremely talented athlete". California racing officials knew Justify was a potentially horse and the possible winner of the Kentucky Derby.

Draft saved Draft deleted