1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triple Crown Race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 23, 2010.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I wish he had knocked one out this weekend. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't catch Pujols in homers. After all, he's had a great opportunity this past week. Votto still has a good shot, too. Pujols, though, has been horrific. Omar is 33 points ahead of him right now.

We have a few other interesting developments. Starlin Castro has a .317 average, and Troy Tulowitski is up to .320. Tulo almost has enough plate appearances. So there's a chance that he could compete with his teammate for the batting title. It's a shame Buster Posey will not be part of the fun. He's at .328 right now, but he'll be 50 or so plate appearance short of the qualifying mark.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Three whole hits?

Well, forget that whole .275 (now .282) road batting average for the season. And that grand total of seven homers away from Coors Field.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It would still be a triple crown if he gets it. Save the grousing for MVP debates.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Never said it wouldn't. Only that if he has more than three games on the road the rest of the year he's got no shot.

5. outofplace

Don't look now, but Gonzalez became the first National Leaguer to reach 100 RBI with a 3-run homer in the first inning tonight.

6. HeinekenMan

Three homers short of the lead in all three categories, and the power switch has been off for Votto and Pujols. In fact, it appears baseball will have only one guy with 40 or more homers this year. And I have lots of questions to ask that guy.

7. HeinekenMan

Well, I'd have much to say at this point. It was an exciting second half, but it appears that nobody is going to achieve it this year. Pujols probably still has the best shot, but he's more than 25 points behind Car Go and Infante. Meanwhile, Albert hit his 38th homer this year, and I doubt anyone can catch him. My guess is that Car Go wins the batting title, Pujols wins the homer title and Votto will be tops in RBIs.

8. outofplace

I think that is how it will end up, too. The Rockies were at home all of this past week. Gonzalez needed to take advantage and make up some ground in home runs and he didn't do it. Instead, he finally cooled off a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted