1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't wait for my trip. I am looking into hotel rooms as we speak.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some thoughts on where to stay and visit in NYC.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Call Boom and see if you can stay with him.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

4. Sandman

Sandman Member

If you're into boutique hotels at all, try Hotel Mela. My wife is a food and travel writer and we stayed there this summer for a couple nights. The room we had was kinda small, but had a ton of character and one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on.

http://www.hotelmela.com/index2.html

And if you're into ice cream that will take your breath away, you absolutely must try the gelato at Grom on the upper west side. The lines were long at night, but if you go after lunch on a weekday, you hardly wait at all.

http://www.grom.it/eng/index.htm

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

;D

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I love the Park Central.

Not quite the pricetag of the high-high enders, but two blocks from Central Park, across the street from Carnegie Hall (and Borat's Hotel Wellington) and a half block from a subway stop.

7. Cansportschick

Can anyone suggest good restaurants they have been to?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can suggest lots. But that is really vague. Can you give some parameters? 1) What kind of food do you like? 2) Do you want to spend and get a meal you might not be able to get in many other places? 3) What kind of ambiance -- what is your personality like? Shi shi or pub, for example?

9. Cansportschick

Shi, shi because I figure I am in in NYC, why not go all out. Also, not fussy about type of food except, I don't want to eat pub food. I get enough of that fill here if I need it. yeah, I do want to spend and experience something out of the norm.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you want to narrow it down by a type of food, I can give more than just general recs. But I am a really big fan of Mario Batali's restaurants. They are Italian, but not in the meatball parmigiana way. They each have a different specialty. They are not cheap, but not crazy expensive like a trip to Il Mulino or something. My favorites are Babbo (on Waverly Place in the Village) and Lupa (on Thompson Street in SoHo). A lot of the stuff is wasted on me because I don't eat meat or seafood, but people I have gone with generally find it a great meal. A lot of people consider Esca his best restaurant. It has a heavy seafood flavor. If you google the restaurants it will show pictures and the menus. His latest (but not that new) is Otto Enteca, also in the village and it is sort of like an upscale pizza / wine place. gets crowded, but it's a fun place to go with a group. Make sure you call ahead and try to get reservations for any of these places.

If you want sort of expensive and great attention to detail, you have a lot of choices. I still like Union Square Cafe a lot, which is not a "flavor of the month" place anymore, as long as I am not paying for it (it's actually not THAT expensive; just an expensive meal, but something most people can do once in a while). It's even worth doing just for lunch. Il Mulino, which I mentioned, on W. 3rd Street may be the best Northern Italian restaurant on earth. And the deserts are crazy good. It's also ridiculously expensive. I could never tire of going there, though.

If I have time later, maybe I will throw out other recommendations... Hope that helps. If you have a specific type of food you like, I might have more targeted recommendations. There are also some other people on here who know NYC and might have better taste than I do. I hope they weigh in.

11. Cansportschick

Ragu, do you know anything about Budukan?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hard to know where to begin and end with restaurants....too many good ones.

Woo Lae Oak in SoHo....best Korean bbq, beautiful place, sounds weird but it's amazing.

If you're into sushi, and don't care about $, go to NoBu in Tribeca. On the other end of town, try Rue 57 at 6th/57th...sushi with a french twist.

If you can get into Gramercy Tavern, go there. Very expensive, but very excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted