1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jan 6, 2013.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I did the Skoal-can thing with my Trash80 too.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I think we all had experiences like that in those days. Nothing like scrambling to find someone with keys to get you into the office with the fax machine, then discovering you're locked in and everyone's gone. Or driving down a deserted road looking for someplace with a phone you could send from (I preferred hotels or motels but often wasn't in a position to be picky). Or cursing because sending from the couplers was in reality only sending garble.

Yep, them was the days, by cracky!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Last time I used one of those was at a juco regional playoff women's basketball game. I met the AD at the school during football season and he just let me use his office after he left. Then the damn thing had a hiccup and I had to dictate the whole thing back to the desk.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Those nights were always fun for all parties involved.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

$s was part of our coding at the start of a file. $e came at the end.

(I think)

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I think at our place, the end code to complete transmission was "$e." God forbid if you didn't include that. Also, don't know how many times I had to call the tech guys at the office and ask them to "reset the modem" because I couldn't get a connection.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Remembering those days, email seems so simple now.

8. T&C

T&C Member

When two of us started writing a twice-weekly freelance sports people column in 1997, the paper gave us one to use. I'm almost positive that the full-time sports reporters had to share the ones they had in the office depending upon who was going out to cover a story and couldn't get back to the paper to write. That didn't make them happy. Found some connections in my home office a couple of years ago that I forgot to return when we stopped writing the column four years later. Hopefully by that time no one needed them.

Draft saved Draft deleted