1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune sells two small papers to Gannett ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why?

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Singleton owns the Connecticut Post in Bridgeport.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

I always got the feeling that Danbury was a throw-in when CNHI bought it along with five other Ottaway papers a few months ago. CNHI likes to cluster its papers together but doesn't have anything nearby to hook up with the News-Times.

It's a much better fit for Gannett or Singleton, both with have other papers in nearby markets.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the reply. you do know they already sold the santa cruz paper, right?

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Wicked:

Good point on Norwich, but if Gannett *did* ever buy Hartford, that would screw with Norwich again.

History: I got hired at Norwich maybe a month before my wedding. Coming back from the honeymoon, but I read a story in my hometown paper that Gannett had bought the Bulletin.

Turns out, they did all right by me (including some Patriots' coverage in the early days of USA Today), although I left after about five years.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was in the Groton area a couple weeks back, and I just looked at the Day and Bulletin on the paper rack, and there's such a clear difference in product quality.

That and the fact that Day delivery boxes outnumbered the Bulletin's by like 10-1.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is the Bulletin still so thin it feels like a JRC paper?

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Ah. Thank you.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just hope they don't sell them to Gannett.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i heard jrc also is in the running.

11. BYH, that will never change with that rag. With all the turnover that continues there, it's a miracle they still put out a paper everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted