1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune sells two small papers to Gannett ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 2, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A couple years ago, I would have rather worked at a Tribune paper than just about anywhere else... Unfortunately, that's definitely no longer the case...

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This makes sense for Gannett (next to Westchester) and it keeps them out of the hands of JRC (New Haven, etc.) and Singleton (Bridgeport). They ran a lot of Newsday copy. Guess they'll be switching to Westchester, a downgrade for the readers but still very respectable pro coverage.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Newsday has become quite small-minded lately. Seems to fit in with Gannett's hyper-local approach.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

If they're trying to dump dead weight, how soon before they sell the Cubs?

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Good move for Gannett. They own practically all the papers in NY's northern suburbs now. Everything east of the Hudson, I believe. A lot of money there.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Interesting that Gannett didn't buy Danbury when Ottaway put it up for sale last year. Fairfield County still has five dailies: Greenwich and Stamford (Gannett), Danbury (CNHI), Bridgeport (Singleton), Norwalk (charitable trust). I wonder if Gannett now will try to buy Danbury and/or Bridgeport and merge them all into a metro, as it did in Westchester County about 10 years ago. A source in Ottaway says Dow Jones may not be finished selling -- Middletown, N.Y., would seems to be a likely Gannett target.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm still expecting CNHI to flip Danbury to either Gannett or Singleton.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The only way the Cubs go is if the broadcast arm goes.
    They go hand-in-hand because of the programming rights with cable superstation WGN.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Does Singleton own anything else in the neighborhood? I can't think of it. But, then, it is 1:40 in the morning and I'm home from the bar, so I might be missing something.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If by small-minded you mean cheap...yes. The local coverage is still inadequate.

What the bean counters have done to a once-thriving tabloid is disgusting.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, at least Norwich won't be such a red-headed stepchild anymore. Maybe they'll actually really cover UConn so Stamford/Greenwich will have stuff to run.

Draft saved Draft deleted