1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune-Review retreats from Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 28, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Baron with his gasoline can ready to light a match. ;)

Interesting to see the article says they will increase staff a couple other places...

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The news story n the Tribune-Review included the following line with no further explanation:

"The Trib also will retain 11 of its 14 weekly newspaper publications."

Who is getting closed?

Also, my understanding is that the Trib has a couple local papers that will still print. It is alos my understanding that the company closed McKeesport last year. How are the remaining dailies doing? Does anyone have a sense about how viable the company is going forward now that they do not have a billionaire godfather?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Besides Chicago, mentioned in a post, Washington for sure. And isn't Trenton a two paper town?

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I think the three weeklies were already sold off (or at least removed from the company; don't know if they were actually purchased). The Valley-News Dispatch, which is based north of the city, and the Greensburg Tribune-Review, which is out east, will continue printing.

They already sold off some weeklies and a couple of dailies (no buyer for McKeesport, so that closed).

Here's a list of their remaining weeklies. No idea which ones are shutting down - Trib Total Media - Pittsburgh Newspaper Group

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trenton

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

York, Pa., of all places.

Wilkes-Barre.

Crawfordsville, Ind.

Slow death of the two-newspaper town

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder how Wilkes-Barre still does it. I'm assuming being owned by the Scranton folks helps.

Last numbers I saw for York's afternoon paper didn't look good. At all.

8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Does New Orleans count?

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Wilkes-Barre probably survives because one is favored by organized labor and one is not. I believe The Citizens Voice was founded as a strike paper that now has the Scranton owner's deeper pockets.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I believe it's just north of Greencattle

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Population of nearly 16K per Wikipedia. And two dailies?

Draft saved Draft deleted