1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune hacks and slashes and gouges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LWillhite, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Ever since I got into newspapers, my goal was to work at the Chicago Tribune.

Fuck you, Sam Zell.

2. Ten minutes ago, Sako's bio was still up.

Now it's not.

Fucking hell.

3. I'm canceling my subscription, effective immediately. Tomorrow will be the first day of my adult life that the Chicago Tribune doesn't come to my door. It's the least I can do for my brethren, none of whom I knew other than in passing, but we're all on the same team here.

4. partain

partain Member

5. Same here.

I spent my time as a college student, fairly recently, in Chicago reading many of these names every morning and dreaming of someday being their colleague. Several of them, including Melissa Isaacson, took the time to come in and speak to our classes. Good luck to all of them.

I sit here now, as comfortable in terms of job security as one could ever be all things considered, but still numb. Many have said it more eloquently, but it's really been weighing on my mind lately: the only dream job left in journalism is one that's stable. I am happy I have that, but it's sure not what drew me into this business.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've always liked Melissa's writing. Every day is shit. Every fucking day.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Word for word. It was my goal, too.

8. There were many, many years where I didn't think my life would be complete unless I worked at the Trib full-time. Even for one day. Kind of like a guy who gets an at-bat in the bigs or a garbage minute in game 82 of the NBA season. It would keep me up at night -- "Will I ever get the call?"

Not that I was still hanging onto it by this point anyway, but I think the dream just died a little bit more for a lot of us today.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unfortunately, I think most of us in our 30s realize the dream of working at the paper we admired growing up is long dead. All we can do is come up with new dreams, like the one you've found.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel, believe me...but it does seem like a slap in the face of the remaining staff, also our brethren.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. Sad day all around.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know the feeling in a sense. My last shop certainly wasn't the majors. Hell, it wasn't even a mid-major. But I once harbored dreams of working at The Washington Post. Don't know if that's going to happen now.

I know The Post and The Chicago Tribune are two different papers, but still. Today is, to quote my girl, "just one more chip off an already broken heart."

Draft saved Draft deleted