1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Company Will Charge Smokers $100 a Month

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No, it's not.
    Health and life insurance companies routinely charge extra for smokers. This is just a company that provides health insurance -- as a fringe benefit, remember -- passing along the cost to those who are raising the rates.

2. boots

boots New Member

Yeah but fat boy with the bad comb over walks around wolfing down corndogs while drinking Diet Coke.
    It's all screwed up.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It is a slippery slope in the sense that in individual plans, discrimination based on pre-existing conditions and health habits is perfectly legal -- though there are plans that have gotten in trouble for going to unusual route to "prove" someone lied about this stuff so they could pull coverage. But in group plans, it's only a recent development that individuals within that group have been picked out for rewards -- or penalties. Presumably, the whole point of group insurance was that, in the end, everything would even out so everyone could pay the same. That's not the attitude anymore, especially with the young and healthy opting out of group plans because they're so pricey.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I agree, boots. The obese probably need higher insurance rates, too.

Give it time, boots, and the problem you described will be 'figured out' by insurance companies.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

At my old paper we had to do this.
    We were charged more based on their predetermined levels of how much you should weigh based on your height.

6. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I think you're spot-on with that, Idaho, and it won't end there -- even if you don't smoke and are not obese, Uncle Sam will be getting into people's diets and family medical history in order to further make demands through the "everyone-has-health-insurance" mandate.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The strange truth: Smokers don't add to heath-care cost as much as you might think. Sadly, a greater percentage of smokers die at an earlier age, which actually reduces health-care costs.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I think the world is coming to an end. I once again agree wholeheartedly with Mizzou... :eek:

9. I'm around that early 30ish age when I'm wondering if I should get insurance.

I spent most of my 20s without it. I shelled out over $1,000 per year in premiums one year and never went. The deductible was $500 before any coverage would kick in. The next year, I lowered my plan to pay $100 in premiums. The plan would cover the big hospital costs should I need them, and the deductible was $2,000. I got sick once and went to the $50 clinic.

We're having meetings now to explain the new insurance plans for 2008. From what I understand, premiums are going up, deductibles are going up, and now we'll have to choose from a list of pre-approved doctors. Otherwise, the insurance company won't cover the bill.

I'll take my chances with the $50 clinic.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

After obesity, they'll go after those who have cancer in family medical histories, putting those at a higher risk.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It is, perhaps, my biggest hangup with national healthcare. I am, in theory, supportive of universal healthcare -- especially for minors. I am, also, opposed to subsidizing reckless behavior in others.

Do I -- a non-smoking, non-drinking, frequent-exercising, gainfully employed, safe-living bore of a person -- deserve to pay for the healthcare of someone who smokes, drinks himself drunk regularly, uses drugs, never exercises and is essentially a mooch? At the same time, I see the other side of the coin and sympathise with the childless person or couple who is subsidizing the education (an potentially the healthcare) of my four children.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have a friend who was withouth insurance in his late 20s. He got into a bicycle accident, hit his head and the CAT scan alone was like $10,000. His little incident cost him about $30,000 that he spent about 10 years paying.

One benefit of insurance is that companies negotiate with doctors over how much they will pay.

So even if you have a $500 deductible, an office visit that may cost $150 if you walk off the street may only cost you $50 or so because that's what the insurance company negotiated. So you save $100 even before you hit your deductible.

Draft saved Draft deleted