1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Company to Drop AP?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/10/tribune-company.html

Sorry if a d_b.

I wonder if Zell thinks he can find the content he needs on the web now.

Or will this get worked out?

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

Not the first but definitely the biggest.

Doesn't mention in the story if it's because of the rate schedule change, which is the reason given by Spokane, et. al.

It's probably just because Zell is a cheap bastard.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

negotiating tool

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Next week's headline:

TRIBUNE COMPANY TO GO ALL-SUDOKU

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is probaby just to cut costs. Anything to do that...

Truthfully, though, I don't know how much the LAT or Chicago Tribune really need, or use AP, other than maybe the ticker, to check game progress from the office, and maybe, for compiling national roundup info, which, yes, can be done in other ways these days.

The AP, itself, is often following the larger papers in news and all but the right-on-deadline, fire-drill game material, anyway. In this respect, this move seems likely to have far more impact on the news departments than in sports.

The LAT and Chicago Tribune sports sections are primarily staff-written, almost in their entirety, and that is even more true now than ever, what with the sections seemingly getting smaller and smaller all the time.

So, it's the smaller papers in the Tribune chain that may really be adversely affected, not the larger ones. Then again, perhaps there is an expectation -- a misguided one, I think -- that the chain's increased content-sharing will take care of that problem.

Yeah, the LAT and the Chicago Tribune serving as the company's in-house AP. I could see that happening...

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That all makes sense but wouldn't dropping AP be a bigger problem for the rest of the paper?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In theory, yes. But Zell will just have everyone work harder and smarter

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

Maybe Tribune will reopen all the bureaus they closed.

(Do I really need the blue font?)

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

L.A. Times doesn't travel with the Kings or Ducks, I believe. They must use wires, right?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And agate?

11. BINGO.

Giving notice for a deal that is at least a year - more like two - away.
    I think Ogden or CNHI has done - or at least threatened - the same thing.
    I'm convinced it's all a ploy.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

That's my biggest question. I've already been told that it's pretty much a done deal we're dropping AP in the next 24 months.

I'm OK with it. We'll keep MCT, Cox and LAT-WP. It's not like I'm going to hurt for stories. But the agate page ... now that concerns me.

Draft saved Draft deleted