1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Co. 'Chief Innovation Officer' Delivers More Laugh Lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 25, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Jay, that's backwards.
    Obits are newsroom generated. Death notices are paid, lines only. Funeral notices are just a revenue generator. Lines only, paid.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that is an old-fashioned model at a lot of places. At a lot of papers all obits are paid except maybe just a brief 2-3 line freebie.

The only non-paid obit would be a news story on a well-known person.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/mixed-media/2009/01/26/tribunes-abrams-fooled-by-years-old-spoof

Jeebus freebing Criminy

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Simon, it's not Lee Abrams fault that all his synapses aren't firing. Don't be so mean.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Execs don't want to hear, "we don't have the staff to do that." It takes lots of bodies to put out the Daily Miracle. If you want magazine type pieces to go with news pieces you better have more bodies than staffs have today. Or make everybody work 7 days a week and intimidate them into no overtime.

I'd like to see this innovator in a meeting with Tribune editors if they were free to tell it like it is and not kiss his butt. Logos? The Tribune runs enough logos throughout the years. Stuff in the same spot every day? For the most part pages in most papers are grouped topically very well. NBA, Baseball, Preps, etc. Scoreboard page.
    And as far as we are writing for 70 year olds? You hear that a lot? What the fuck does that mean?
    I'm sure newspapers like the Tribune that cover the Bears, Blackhawks, Cubs, White Sox are just covering the stories that need to be covered. They are not writing for some 70 year old.
    I mean the guy covering Piniella isn't thinking, "I'll now put this together for my 70 year old grandfather." What the fuck?

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If you read those posts rationally and/or skeptically, you will, after the some 45", start slamming your head against the desk. And that's after already throwing up on said desk.
    Pure nonsensical, non-sequituring piffle.

7. Abrams is a great example of someone with way too much time on his hands.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

How much time is there left, after all the necessary "Yessir, Mr. Sam, sir . . " s?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Proof that there still is some fat on the bone in newspapers.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

By and large, at or near the top.

11. johnlydon

johnlydon New Member

Lee Abrams basically founded AOR radio. For that alone, he should be hanged. This crap he's doing now -- holy Jeebus.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

His use of a bogus quote in a memo is like a recent memo when he suggested Tribune-owned local TV stations need to have a crime reporter who dresses up like Columbo "in a rumpled sweater."

Wonder if he's fine with Tribune Company's reporters getting "close" but not quite accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted