1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Co. 'Chief Innovation Officer' Delivers More Laugh Lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 25, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Listening is fine. Listening is a good thing.

Dismissing assclowns with stupid ideas that will not work is one result, though.

2. That memo was knee-jerk bitching, but put your pedestal anywhere you want.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

To be honest, I don't disagree with him. I find that some of the most visually-appealing graphics packages include, at least in part, the logo of the two teams competing that day. The Detroit Free Press and the Boston Globe are two that immediately come to mind.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I, too, try to read and be open to everything, just because it's clear that we need to do something, and I am casting about and thinking through everything while on something of a personal mission to actually try to come with ideas that will, in fact, be helpful.

I'd seriously like to do that, both for Abrams' paper, which I have always loved, and, for the industry in general.

But Abrams has become famous for these types of memos. And although he seems like a guy people could like and work with, he speaks far too generally, and, as someone else described it, fan-boyishly, to really be effective and make an impact in any truly identifiable and quantifiable way.

He strikes me more as a public-relations guy than an actual chief innovation officer who might actually be in the process of executing or doing any of these things, or other things, that might or might not work. He spends far too much time serving as the Times' face of innovation, when what he should actually be doing is working on the innovations.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think using logos in roundups and preview boxes and such is great. It's the "showing the flag" BS that is the turnoff.

As if the only reason newspaper circulation is declining is that people didn't realize that the Chicago Tribune didn't cover the Cubs because there weren't enough logos.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're obviously not an Innovator.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If the Tribune's Cubs coverage doesn't already cause enough cynicism, can't wait to see how they further OWN the 'super coverage' of the the team they actually OWN.

8. Had no idea he was the innovator behind Dahl's Disco Demolition Night at old Comiskey Park. His credibility just keeps rising in my eyes. ::)

A little more from Phil Rosenthal at the Chicago Tribune:

'So much TV news seems stuck in 1974. It's almost a parody of itself sometimes," Lee Abrams said Friday. "You just want to roll your eyes."

Come next month, Abrams takes on the newly created title of chief innovation officer at Chicago Tribune parent Tribune Co. and takes on conventional thinking at WGN-Ch. 9 and 22 other TV stations, along with the company's newspapers, WGN-AM 720 and sundry other media properties.

"At least go through the exercise of rethinking it a little bit," said Abrams, who has been chief creative officer for XM Satellite Radio since its launch in 1998. "There's a consultant-driven TV news playbook that all the stations [use]. It's almost as if [consultant] Frank Magid has hypnotized every news director in the country.

"It's sort of like radio. One of the reason music radio is so bad in most people's opinion is it's gotten so overresearched and overconsulted ... to the point where it's unlistenable."

That Abrams, 55, has come to this conclusion is a prime example of the kind of rethinking he wants.

Abrams, you see, was one of the founding fathers of radio research and for years among the industry's most influential. He was among the first to compile volumes of audience research, tailoring formats and playlists to suit them.

He gets widely credited with developing FM's album-oriented rock format.

He gets widely blamed for stifling free-form progressive rock on FM.

More than 300 stations took their cues from him before he walked away from the consulting business.

"I'm making amends for it with XM," he said. "Back then, when I started, what radio needed was discipline. It was all over the place, and we disciplined it. And now, or 10 years ago, we needed to unwind that discipline."

There has been considerable speculation over where at Tribune Co. his impact will be first felt.

Although Abrams gave both Steve Dahl and Howard Stern their first major-market radio jobs, Dahl and former partner Garry Meier aren't getting reunited on Tribune's WGN-AM any time soon.

Meier has reached out to Abrams about potential work. But Dahl, heard mornings on WJMK-FM 104.3, is under contract to CBS Radio for another 40 months.

Like pal Randy Michaels, Tribune Co.'s chief executive of interactive and broadcasting, Abrams looks to use the company's six smaller papers as a lab. Successful experiments will be shared with the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times and New York's Newsday.

"Can't do anything too radical right away," said Abrams, a White Sox fan who grew up in Flossmoor.

When he was starting at the pay-radio service XM, he had his staff come to his home with artifacts of their old radio stations, such as memos and T-shirts, which he doused with kerosene out back and torched as a "symbol of how the world is changing."

Abrams, who was one of the architects of Dahl's Disco Demolition Night at old Comiskey Park, does not yet have plans to blow anything up at Tribune Co.

Not literally, anyway.

But, like everything else, that could change.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody get the idea that charlatans are beginning to feast on the newspaper industry selling all manner of "medical cures" in bright shiny bottles and publishers are pushing each other to get to the front of the line?

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't know if you guys have spent time reading those posts/blogs by Lee Abrams.
    There is a theme. Only one theme. Many ideas are retreads. Many are tinkering. Many wouldn't work. Many are, "Wow, these guys have been trying." Some are rudiment, coming from someone outside the profession.
    The common theme? Newspapers. For some reason, he believes in them.

Now, that may make him the last to the party or he really is nuts. But he believes in the core readership growing the other arms of the company.
    I don't know about the rest of you. For five years I've been told I'm a failure. My industry is a failure. My profession is a failure. Our business models are failures. I've watched friend after colleague walk out the door. I've been told we won't be around in five more years. It's old. Tiresome.

He's a fan of what we do.
    You say: "Consider the source."
    I say: "Fuck it. I'll take it."

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm stunned that blog's comment section didn't suffer Wenal failure.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean the SE in eugene?

Draft saved Draft deleted