1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune bankruptcy question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

About a month ago, I got a call from a Balt. Sun higher-up. This was shortly after I submitted an invoice for a freelance gamer, which I submitted shortly before the Tribune Company filed for protection. The higher-up was very apologetic in informing me that since I was a creditor I wouldn't be receiving my payment due to the bankruptcy. He also mentioned that the bankruptcy court would send documents, which I'd need to file in order to receive my payment.

I still haven't received those papers, but I'm wondering if any other freelancers have. Should I contact the bankruptcy court myself and request the paperwork?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Higher up in the paper or in the Sports department...
    If it's not the SE, I'd be on the phone and chewing him a new asshole for this...

3. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

It's going on at all Tribune papers I assume. I've talked to two stringers for Orlando that this happened to. One guy is out a substantial chunk of change ... and it's a college kid who depends on that to get by.

The local editors don't have any control over it though, so there's no need to scream at them. My guess is the company will agree to settle their debts at some point ... but sometimes those things end up being 50 or 60 cents on the dollar. So not only will the affected stringers have to wait, but they may not get full payment down the road.

Good times.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm not a lawyer, but filing for bankruptcy doesn't mean you can't pay people for the work they have done.
    Seems like a contract employee, which is what a stringer would be, couldn't be listed as a creditor.
    The more important question is, does anyoone know if the Tribune papers are still dishing out freelance assignments?
    If they are, and they know the freelancer won't be paid, meang the paper knowingly entered into a contract that they weren't going to pay, I'd think that would be a hell of a lawsuit.

5. John Drama

John Drama New Member

I've done some freelance for a Trib paper and I got the court paperwork. I've also still been receiving what I'm owed though. I've also gotten more assignments, so go figure.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not to mention possible criminal charges for fraud and intent to fraud.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Unfortunately, you filed your work BEFORE the "filing." And, as is the law, you are listed as a creditor.
    (Those filing their work the Tuesday AFTER the filing, were all paid on time).
    But, the contract or freelance employees where cleared for payment on the second or third day by the judge. I would call and ask for a status. You are going to get payed. It is just delayed.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I received the court paperwork as well.

Also, yesterday, I received a notice from Tribune about its new "automated invoice processing system." Instead of cutting a physical check, they direct deposit funds into a checking or savings account. The freelancer has to snail mail, e-mail or fax an invoice to Tribune. Be forewarned, it takes three days for the invoice to show up in their system. I learned that yesterday; I did some work for a Tribune paper last week and e-mailed in my invoice on Friday. I called yesterday, just to check that they received the e-mail and was told that it would not appear in their system until either today or tomorrow.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Just did a gig for the Balto Sun...first one in a while, so I had to fill out new paperwork...no big deal...other than that, it's situation normal...

10. JimRodenbush

JimRodenbush New Member

I received the court paperwork as well, but also got an email from the SE telling me I would be paid after all. Still haven't received the check yet, so who knows?

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I got the bankruptcy paperwork, but I have no idea why I would be a creditor.

I'm a former employee of a Trib station, but my 401K was rolled over eons ago.

I wonder if I would have a stake in the ESOP??

What a fuckin' mess that shit is.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For your sake, I hope not...

Draft saved Draft deleted