1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib taps "design guy" as new SE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by carrie, Dec 23, 2006.

1. carrie

carrie Active Member

As posted over on VisualEditors.com:

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, I can't wait to see what DyePack says about this hire.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

As I said with the Bears game stuff, it doesn't surprise me. The paper has been heading down this road for a while.

All it tells me is the pattern of mistakes, both small and large, concerns no one in the Tribune tower. So there should continue to be plenty of amusing f-ups in the coming weeks and months.

I wonder if Eddie Johnson's attorneys are paying attention.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So who's in charge of sports at the Trib? Dan McGrath or Mike Kellams or somebody else higher or lower in the bureaucracy? Sounds potentially Belo-esque — too many chiefs, etc.

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Having worked with Mike a bunch of years ago, this doesn't surprise me. Mike's always been the aggressive type. Too aggressive for my tastes, but that's why he's at where he's at now.

He and Whitlock have put Ball State's j-school on the map.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I think the Trib's Bears coverage has been astounding. I see it every week (from a market outside of Chicago) and it's extremely reader-friendly, comprehensive, interactive, provocative and cutting edge. Why anyone would denigrate what they are doing is beyond me.

I don't know Kellams, but if he's been a major part of the enhancement, it's easy to see why he's getting the promotion.

McGrath, one of the trulyl nice guys in the business, runs the show there. Adee was a high-energy type who rounded out the upper management sports team. He's out of sports now, hence the need to bring someone else in. From this outsider's perspective, it looks like quite the smart move.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's just past noon, and the Kool-Aid is refreshing and tasty. Mmmmmm.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That there copy editung is gone go to hell in a handbaskit, DP. ;)

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's beyond a copy-editing problem at this point.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've got to side with DyePack here. Check out the thread about the Tribune's new-look Bears coverage and you'll get an idea of what he's talking about. The four one-quarter ``gamers'' are a good example of style over substance.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ridiculous to make judgments from afar. Some people can do words and visuals at a major-league level and have specialized in either at various times in their career. I have. The best layout guy I worked with is now writing/managing. There are one-dimensional people, sure, but then there are people who are just good journalists who'd be good in whatever role.

I don't like what the Trib's doing with the Bears game-day coverage, either, but somebody higher up approved it. Blame them, not the people who carry out the vision.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The sad part is that John Mullin and David Haugh could write rings around Brad Biggs (not Mully, though). Why waste two talented writers in that way?

Draft saved Draft deleted