1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib Sorgi story: "What the heck?!?" or "At least he's trying!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Feb 3, 2007.

1. I've never met Brian Hamilton, though I think he's a writer who's at least willing to take risks.

But in this feature on Jim Sorgi, it seems like he's just trying too hard to be writerly and force a metaphor into his lede and ending.

Thoughts?:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0702020314feb02,1,498663.story

2. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I know he was trying to have fun with it, but that lede makes no sense.

3. writer of ball

writer of ball New Member

Yeah, it's confusing at first. but the more I read the lede, I actually started to like it. Might not work here, but people willing to take shots like this should be applauded.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is it laudable that people take shots and end up writing something incoherent?
    I have no clue what his was getting at in the first 3 graphs..after that, not a bad piece.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

It's obvious...an editor screwed it up.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

the lead gets a big ol' "meh."

The "send-us-your-photos" picture of someone's pepperoni pizza (with the pepp conveniently placed in a giant "C") on the other hand is good stuff.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Part of why it doesn't hold up is that Sorgi has not played that horribly in his extremely limited opportunities. Last year, in the two games at the end of the year where Dungy basically pulled the plug, Sorgi went 22-31 for 237 and a td (Seahawks were still playing for homefield) and 21-31, 207, 2 td, 1 int vs. Arizona. The sky didn't turn red either time. So why exactly does he warrant such pablum ?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a good story. Bottom line is the perception of Sorgi is he never plays because he's behind Manning, who is so far and away better than anyone else, that if Sorgi does play his team is fucked. I was hoping to get a good feature on him this week, and I at least enjoyed it. Even if people want to nitpick about how good Sorgi really is or isn't. It's been over a year since he took a snap.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A little too cute in spots; metaphor for the sake of metaphor. But not the worst thing I've seen today.

Draft saved Draft deleted