1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib Article about top Chicago chef

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This article about Chicago chef Curtis Duffy, who just opened his own restaurant to great acclaim, is getting a lot of accolades in the circles I run in. (OK, among a lot of people I follow on Twitter.)

Most folks here would probably never see it, so I thought I'd share:

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/grace/

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great article, but you would have to pay me $250 to eat one of those plates. I'm sure the food is magnificent, but a six-bite meal offends my buffet sensibilities.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There really should be an alarm that goes off when one of you is accidentally signed in on the other's handle. :D

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You'll have to do.

5. YankeeFan

Six bites per course, and it's 8 to 12 courses.

Here's the Trib's four star review:

(If the link doesn't work, link to it from this twitter feed: https://twitter.com/philvettel February 8th tweet.)

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As for the article, the parenthetical comment about the wife not being reached for comment was a little weird. I can understand ambition torpedoing one's personal life, but there seems to be more to it than your average didn't-make-time-for-the-family story line. The ending gave you a glimpse into the dichotomy between his professional success and personal failure, but in the context of not repeating his father's mistakes -- especially with the advice given in the letter -- I wanted to know more.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, that makes more sense. Still, though, I'd rather have a burger from Kuma's, then spend the extra cash on a trip to watch the Sox play.

8. YankeeFan

I think chefs are a lot like sportswriters or military members; lots of divorces because the husband is gone all the time -- especially early in their career, when 16 hour days are the norm.

I read Grant Achatz' -- the Chef Duffy worked under at both Trio and Alinea -- biography and the story of his marriage was pretty similar.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now you sound like Whit Dickman. :eek:

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No, Dick would have used the extra money to buy fancy pants.

11. YankeeFan

I'm dying to try this guy's restaurant, but getting a reservation is going to be tough -- even at those prices. And, I'd like to go for a special occasion, or at least a Saturday night, not some random Tuesday when I may be able to get a table.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A narrow escape, but granted.

Draft saved Draft deleted