1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tressel Out (per Columbus Dispatch)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, May 30, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

But ... but ... Alabama's got a Saban statue! And there's a community to heal from the tornado devastation!

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He may get hit with a show cause penalty and won't be a college coach again. But that's not to say an NFL team won't offer him money as a "consultant" if not an assistant coach, as happened to Kelvin Sampson.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

When he was at Youngstown I had a coach tell me: "If he doesn't break the rules, he sure does heat up the bar and bend them."

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Gotta love all the Michigan fans crowing about Tressel and Ohio State cheating. The same Michigan that just had NCAA problems itself.

Of course, with Tressel gone, Michigan may actually have a chance at beating the Bald Nuts this year.

I'll agree on one thing with the Michigan fans. It is kind of weak for OSU and Tressel to announce this on a holiday.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would Gee consider Chris Petersen, or is he not deserving?

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Tressel hates Memorial Day

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not arguing, just asking... Is the only difference between what happened to Tressel and what happened to Pete Carroll that Carroll bailed out at the right time?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty much. Carroll knew the posse was coming and got out of town. Tressel apparently had no where else to go.

What a cesspool big-time college sports have become. I can partially excuse the 19-year-old kid who has no idea what he's getting into, but the adults who condone it? Perhaps schools need to get a bit tougher, like providing all athletes a complete list of NCAA rules and saying "You break the rules, you're off the team and out of school". Of course, the fact it takes years for some of this stuff to come to light doesn't help matters.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't think Carroll spent as much time polishing his halo. And watching this happen to the Big Tweleven is just an added dollop of joy.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Pryor about to be done at OSU also:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/05/30/zzz.html

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The supplemental NFL draft suddenly gets more interesting. Letting those guys play in the Sugar Bowl now looks like an even bigger sham.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny you mention that. We went to Tuscaloosa today. First thing Ms. Slappy, the huge Alabama fan, said is how disproportionate the statue is to a person. From the waist down, he's built like Herman Munster instead of Pee-Wee Herman.

Draft saved Draft deleted