1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

These two things are true:

1. David Simon is a genius.

2. David Simon has become borderline insufferable.

This week, Mr. Simon tells Sepinwall that if you think Treme doesn't have enough plot, you're wrong and stupid, and that if you watch the show and wonder about the characters motivation from episode to episode he has no respect for you and you can basically fuck off.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/interview-treme-co-creator-david-simon-post-mortems-season-one

I liked Treme a lot. I have high hopes for season two. I think all the criticisms of the show raised in this thread are legitimate. I'm not sure I've ever encountered anyone as insecure about his own art as Simon is, especially since he is constantly feeling the need to tell you how he doesn't give a fuck what you think, to the point where Sepinwall calls him back to talk about the music and he BRINGS IT UP AGAIN about how all the criticisms of Treme are stupid and fuck you, TV viewer who dares to watch TV in a weekly format and care enough to write on the Internet about the show.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It seems like Simon trusts Sepinwall enough to be exceedingly honest with him, sometimes to his own detriment. He certainly could be a lot more diplomatic, but he's a bigshot with a big ego (as are most people who have accomplished what he has), and what he says is essentially true: you can second-guess it all you want, but it's done. They made the choices they made, and you can like it or not.

I liked some aspects of it and not others. Like beardpuller, I didn't think Creighton's motivation for what he did was sufficiently explained. It didn't seem consistent for a man who a) was affected deeply on an emotional level by the storm, but should have felt blessed by escaping the effects so many around him suffered; b) saw himself as being in a position to create change, and was encouraged by the reactions to his videos; and, most importantly c) had an inspiring and functional family he seemed all-too-ready to assign a life of mourning and wondering with no explanation.

Ironically, what Simon did with that character was the greatest example of the plot and drama people were clamoring for. I'm sure it was done somewhat out of convenience, with Goodman having a certain contract (he was listed as a guest star all season). But it left us with a character we liked, dead for no good reason, and a bunch of other characters who are just doing the best they know how to do. Which is a great depiction of real life, but will leave some people wanting for identifiable stories with closure.

"Unlike plot-driven entertainments, there is no closure in real life. Not really." -- Creighton Burnette

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I liked the flashback scene, even if it was a bit jarring at first. Yes, we know Katrina is the ultimate antagonist in the show, but it was good to see how the different characters prepared for the storm, as it kind of sets their mindset for the rest of the show.

The character I was surprised I liked the most this season -- Davis. Couldn't stand him at first, but he really grew on me. And I have a giant crush on Annie. There was enough plot for me to stay interested as the season went along, and I think things will move along at a much quicker pace in season two.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

She was as smooth on "NewsRadio." She's very, very good.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Does anyone know when this is going to return? I have found nothing. Should we expect it to return in March 2011? By the way, I saw today that character Goodman played was a real-life figure who died in 2008. Perhaps that explains why they cut him from the show. But that sure was a rough deal. I loved that character, and I felt terrible for his family. But I guess that's realism.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Goodman was never listed as one of the main stars of the show. In the credits, it was always "with John Goodman," kind of like certain Mad Men episodes say "with Alison Brie," since she doesn't appear every week.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was renewed for Season 2, but I haven't seen when.

Boardwalk Empire has another 4-6 weeks, so that puts us at year's end. Then Curb Your Enthusiasm and Big Love for 10-12 weeks, so yeah, that probably means Treme Season 2 will start in late March/early April.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pretty solid season 2 opener tonight.

Loved that Sofia carried her dad's banner with the YouTube rants.

And that Albert's son stood up for NOLA.

And that Davis and Annie seem happy while Sonny is downcast and still hanging with druggies.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not a lot of action in the opener, which is par for the course with a David Simon show. Mostly catching up with the old gang.

Good to see John Seda join the cast. He was great in "The Pacific."

But as the opener showed, it seems crime is going to play a much larger role in Season 2.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

David Morse is a solid addition.
    Really liked the sgruggling restaurant owner-chef girl in first season, not up for a lot of NYC master chef kitchen drama this year. Bring her home.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Was excited about the season 2 debut, but I felt it fell a little flat. Maybe it's been too long between seasons (for me, at least), or maybe I built it up too much.

It wasn't horrible, just kind of slow.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tonight's ep was as close to a solid Wire ep as anything Simon as put out. The juxtaposition between LaDonna as a totally strong female character versus what happened when she got robbed/raped was really well done. Tremendous hour of TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted