1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traveling to Berlin. Got any tips?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by clarkington, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Constantly reiterate bits from the Sprockets sketches.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sprockets-type clothing apparently rubs off on you once you visit.

Beware.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Walk up to random people on a train and say "Ich bin berliner" in a New England accent. Repeat.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

and add the 'ein' if you want to be known as a jelly donut.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And don't forget to goose step everywhere you go. They love that over there.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Tell em you with the Hoff. You won't have to pay for a thing.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK, this thread got me reminiscing about the trip. There was this one bar we stumbled into in Berlin, no real idea where it was because we just got on the subway and got off at where the concierge said to. But what a place. It was filled with people from the NFL Europe franchise and other assorted heavy partyiers. No idea how we made it home but we managed to navigate the subway again. Anyway, all night long, people kept pushing this song on the juke and everyone would stop and sing along. I never could find it again or even who it was by but through the magic of YouTube, I found it tonight. So I hope you all enjoy. The first is the version that was on the juke. The second is the original, apparently from the '70s. Their hair is worse than Night Ranger or Poison.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Two words: Zoo Station.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Is that the name of the bar? I have no idea, literally, where we were.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I just got back from 3 years living in Germany and there are so many great cities and sites there, plus easy access to all of Europe.
    In Berlin, we stayed a block from the Gesundbrunen Station. Easy walk to the trains every day.
    Take the trains as much as possible. They are cheap and easy to understand. Just pick up a paper map of the subways and you'll be fine.
    Hackesheer Markt is a train stop that stays hoppin' all night.
    Great atmosphere with lots of bars and restaurants. It's near the Freidrich St. stop and easy to get to.
    Alexandre Platz and Potsdamer Platz are stops with big walking areas to take in.
    Potsdam is the center of the famous Berlin Film industry and worth spending a day at.
    The best and most important thing I wanted to see, and did, was Olympia Stadion, where Jesse defied Hitler in the 36 Games.
    I keep the pic I snapped on my work desk. It was a gorgeous day when we were there and easy to get to, on a southeast directional train route.
    You can get off the train and walk up the path to the stadium, with a cool little shop to buy a shirt.
    At 5:30 a.m., the day we were leaving, I got the train to Checkpoint Charlie while my wife and baby slept at the hotel.
    Walking around that area, with giant explanatory placards telling what all was happening in Hungary, Czech, etc, just after the WWII, is quasi-informational.
    What a morning that was.
    The Reichstag building and glassed-in new structure behind it is something I'm sure ya'll were going to visit anyway.
    So much to do there, with the Holocaust memorial and gobs more. You'll never do it all.
    Soak in as much as you can, though, and look at what locals and visitors have to say about Berlin on weatherunderground.com
    Great town

Draft saved Draft deleted