1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice question,Galveston for a vacation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Apr 5, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You sound like someone who knows Galvy pretty well. Ever been to The Poop Deck?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you enjoy Galveston, that's great, but it's not a worthy beach vacation destination for a guy from Canada. It's just not.

It can't compete with top beaches: Dr. Beach:  America's Foremost Beach Expert.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In every country, there is one city everyone makes fun of. In U.S. you make fun of Galveston. In Russia, we make fun of Galveston.

[​IMG]

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you go to Galveston, do yourself a favor and read Isaac's Storm ahead of time about the hurricane of 1900.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can't ever hear Galveston without thinking about this guy:

[​IMG]

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Been by there many times, but I'm teetotal so I don't frequent bars!

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, if you dream of Galveston, you're also supposed to clean your gun.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A few years ago my closest friend's oldest moved back to Galveston (she did her undergrad in marine biology at TAMU-G and was going back to start a teaching career around there) and I helped them with the U-Haul. We got there, all her friends showed up to unload, etc., so he and I headed out to the Poop Deck. He had talked and talked about, so I assumed he'd been there a bunch. Turns out he'd always been nervous about going there and was only willing to go because I was coming along! I guess all my stories about frequenting rough beer joints in SC had an effect ...

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Stay away from Allison. I hear she somehow lost her sanity.

dixiehack and Batman like this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times has run out of places to review.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It has undergone wholesale changes since Ike. Mostly, all the poor folks got moved out once their housing was ruined.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted