1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

transition question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Geauxdawg, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Geauxdawg

    Geauxdawg Member

    Well I've finally decided to make a move out of my current job and into a PR position with an area college. I plan on still freelancing so I won't be totally stepping out of the game, but anyway, here's my problem:

    I'm due to start the new job July 3 -- I'd like to give 2 weeks notice and take the high road out of my current job (even though they've pretty much treated me like shit) -- but here's the deal. My hiring is pending the results of a background check. I do have one minor transgression that is in my past. I've been assured that its no big deal and shouldn't affect my employment, both by my new bosses and by legal authorities, but the background check is still pending, and my new boss said she expected to hear by the end of the week. The state agency just hasn't turned in the report yet. But at this point, I only have 3 weeks left before I start my new job, and I have to find a new apartment and eventually move.
    I'd like to get my 2 weeks over with ASAP, both so that I have a spare week to try and get things in order and because we're going through a major transition at my paper and it would just be easier to get the process started. But at the same time, I don't want to quit and then find out there is some sort of problem that would keep me from getting hired. Do I wait out this week or just go ahead and give my two weeks now or try and wait out the week? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. franticscribe

    franticscribe Well-Known Member

    Since you sound unsure what they'll uncover, I'd say wait until you're 100 percent sure on that new job. If they can't give you the definitive OK and a two week window for notice, then ask them to move your start date back.
  3. Geauxdawg

    Geauxdawg Member

    Well I know what they'll uncover, and I've gone to them with it and been told its no problem. I guess I just want it to be 100% instead of 99.9%.

    Earlier this year I had a potential employer ask to contact my boss without a job offer, and I said yes. They ended up not hiring me (in favor of somebody younger and cheaper) and I got stuck in an awkward office. So I don't want to say anything until its in the bag.
  4. Seabasket

    Seabasket Active Member

    Don't give your notice until you have the offer letter in your hand. If the background check takes longer than anticipated, have them move your start date back. They already offered you the job; the want you and you have that leverage. Just let them know that you need some time off to get some personal business in order before you start your new job. They likely won't have a problem with it.
  5. Hank_Scorpio

    Hank_Scorpio Active Member

    Agree with everyone above. Wait until you have the firm offer in hand.

    Jobs are too scarce right now to take a chance, even if its a miniscule chance.
  6. Dyno

    Dyno Well-Known Member

    if it makes you feel better to do something, rather than sit around and wait, start researching apartments/places to live in your new city. Get the names of movers, etc., lined up. Do all your research and then you can hit the ground running when you get the final OK on the new job.
  7. Geauxdawg

    Geauxdawg Member

    Thanks for the input. My current job is just really frustrating anyway, and its honestly more aggravating when I know that the end is nigh — but I can't get that process rolling. I also have nine vacation days that I'm sure they'll just tell me to take over those final 2 weeks rather than pay them out to me afterwards, so I'm anxious to get the hell out of here.
  8. leo1

    leo1 Active Member

    i've been in the same boat...only i was awaiting results of a drug test for the new place and i knew i'd pass because i hadn't taken drugs. still, i waited just to make sure.

    you'd be nuts to gamble with this kind of thing and quit before it's 100 percent in the bag. worst case, you call your new employer and ask for an extra few days because you couldn't get a lease until a certain date or the movers were booked or whatever. they hired you. they want you. they'll wait a few additional days.
  9. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    This happens all the time, though, and puts you in a tough spot.

    New place offers you a job pending the background/pee check and wants you to start in two weeks.

    You know you are clean but who knows what could happen? You don't want to quit till it's official.

    I agree that you say, great. But I will start two weeks after you officially offer me the job.

    Meanwhile you may want to alert your current place that you have a job offer and are considering it. Maybe they will counter and it gives them a heads up, if nothing else.
  10. Tom Petty

    Tom Petty Guest

    great advice. it'll take a week to find a place anyway and who wants to pay for a roof they're not living under? besides, after you give your two weeks notice, you'll be a short timer and not give a rats ass about anything other than yourself anyway.

    wait the week and take whatever time you need in the final two weeks.
  11. novelist_wannabe

    novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

    I'm curious about the significance of starting July 3. You're probably not going to work the day after that anyway, right? I'd just tell the new employer that I couldn't start until two weeks after I get cleared on the background check. Even if they view the background check as a formality in your case, they'd have to understand this. If they won't accept that, then you have to seriously question whether this is a good move. There is absolutely no sense putting yourself at risk of being unemployed.
  12. Geauxdawg

    Geauxdawg Member

    I think the holdup is on the state's end of this, because I just talked to a friend who encountered another long wait on a background check for an apartment. But I've decided that at the end of the week I'm going to talk to them, and if there's still no word tell them that something has to happen if I'm starting on the 3rd (and yeah, I'm working on a Monday and taking Tuesday off — fits since I have to go through some kind of orientation process anyway) and if this delay continues the start date is going to have to get pushed back.
    Its just nerveracking. I know there's not going to be any horrible revelation in this check and its going to clear. The only thing I could possibly fathom (and I don't even really think this would happen) would be my current employers trying to screw me over — but they haven't even been contacted about this yet, and won't be until I give my notice.
    I've already filled out my W4, state tax form, direct deposit authorization, stuff like that, so in their mind this is a formality too. But I need this formality dispensed with.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page