1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ebert didn't really love the first one, but he didn't hate it either.

2. No, but if YOU put a turd in a box, I'm guessing that will be one high-quality turd, for which, I sir, would be willing to pay top dollar!

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You are obviously a person of discriminating taste, a veritable connoisseur.
    It would be an honor and a pleasure to sell you a turd in a box.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And if they were rushing, the part I expect to suffer the most is the story. That is what has me concerned. I haven't really been on Superherohype lately and I've never heard of tf2005.com until your post (I'll have to check it out), so I only have some guesses about the plot.

I really don't understand the choice of using The Fallen. As I mentioned, I was a fan all the way back to issue #1 of the original Marvel comic and even I had to look that one up.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. When I saw Christopher Eccleston as Destro, I thought there was some promise. At least they made him Scottish instead of the random voice they had in the cartoon. And I like Eccleston.
    Then I learned a Wayans brother was involved.
    Then I saw the robot suits.
    Then I heard Destro's mask is largely CGI.
    Finally, I realized the plot looks stupid. It's like Joel Schumacher is directing this thing.
    This is going to suck giant donkey balls. At the 45-minute mark, they'll probably have Snake-Eyes do a musical number and Cobra Commander get turned into a giant snake. Wouldn't even surprise me if we get a Golobulus cameo. I have no hope for this film.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I see GI Joe the same way I saw Transformers: as a great opportunity for some impromptu Mystery Science Theater. That movie is gonna be hilarious. I can't help myself; whenever I see the previews, I start cackling.

I was into both comics as a kid. Then GI Joe introduced Serpentor and Transformers started to run out of ideas (say, around Issue No. 12). The final straw was the GI Joe vs. the Transformers limited series, which burned the name of its writer (Michael Higgins) into my brain as an "avoid at all costs" comic writer.

Sought a comic that was more realistic and didn't insult my intelligence with constant toy promotions.

Got into X-Men after that.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I picked up on Soundwave not being in the first one right off the bat. Wasn't he like second in command? How can you not have a movie with the casette player that turns into a giant robot? (The logic kind of escaped me at the time, but I was like 12)

P.S. I thought the comics where they reminiced (sp)/went back to their planet was pretty good. I think it was trying to send a message about the price of war and can't we all get along. That's what I think this film is missing. THere is no character development, Sam Witwicky isn't the reluctant hero, the robots themselves don't have the chance to develop personalities,but hey, as long as Megan Fox is parading around the screen for 2 1/2 hours,it can't be all bad.

If GI Joe sucks, what other 80s cartoons would you like to see? Voltron? Go-Bots?

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Starscream was second in command basically. Soundwave was Megatron's most loyal follower.

9. outofplace

I wish I had done the same. I didn't really get into X-Men until I started watching the '90s cartoon, right before the start of Fatal Attractions.

As far as Transformers/G.I.Joe was concerned, you didn't find the romantic subplot between Hawk and the traitorous congresswoman compelling? :)

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sought a more realistic comic?

11. outofplace

Which should tell you something about just how silly Transformers/G.I. Joe was.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's like trying to scalp tickets to a Royals-Pirates game.

Draft saved Draft deleted