1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The last one was boring. I've never seen an action movie that was as boring as 'Transformers.'
    People with IQs below 95 should just buy sparklers. They're cheaper than movie tickets.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So the consensus seems to be, don't go see this movie?
    I already had my money lined up and everything.
    Guess I'll just save it for when G.I. Joe comes out...

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

OK, get ready for a Transformer fanboi rant. It's not because I expect anything BIG out of this movie, because let's be honest, it's based mostly off of the cartoon and not so much the comic (minus The Fallen), an 80's cartoon.

Dang, I wanted to start this thread ! But really, I'm doing my best to see it. We have to pick a friend up at DIA around 9 and most of the IMAX theaters in Denver have a showing at 4-ish or 7-ish which might make it hard.

I know the plot is going to suck. Once rumors came out with discussions about The Fallen, I figured Bay would fuck it up. I mean, how do you go from such a simple plot in the first one and then decide, 'oh shit, let's get reeeeal deep in Transformers lore here'. How?! Why?! *sigh*

There's just simple things he's fucking up. Sideswipe being the concept Corvette is fine. But why couldn't he just be a red concept Corvette? And the twins? Really? Two redneck-ish looking Chevrolets. God, I hope they get killed off in the first 20 minutes. If Bay was going to do the twins, why not bring in Sunstreaker? He's Sideswipe's twin. I've gotten over Bumblebee being a badass warrior. Speaking of the Autobots, I really wish Bay would have used the likes of Wheeljack, Prowl, Hound, Ultra Magnus etc instead of making up these lame ass ones (see the Twins).

Apparently Soundwave, one of the most badass Decepticons, is basically serving a cameo by not even coming down to Earth and just staying in Satellite mode the entire movie. And my assumption about Devestator is he's created by The Fallen.

Well, just as long as there's giant freaking robots beating the shit out of each other, I'll be good.

/end nerd rant.

EDIT: Yeah, the reviews are in the favor of the film sucking. Shit, RottenTomatoes has it at 27% or something like that. Regardless, it'll be the movie of the summer, win various awards for the MTV movie awards (I know, I know), and hopefully Bay won't be back for the third.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is affection for the characters, from the previous movie or from the other incarnations. I was a fan of the comics and the cartoon in the '80s. That was enough to get me to see the first movie despite relatively low expectations. I doubt this one will be as good as the first, but I enjoyed that one enough to take in the sequel.

Maybe some of us are just optimists.

5. Madhavok

Thank you, OoP. Transformers was my jam growing up along with TMNT. I mean, if there were two nostalgic memories growing up I'd pay to see no matter how much it sucked, it'd be a Transformers and TMNT movies/TV shows.

The once unimaginable, seeing Optimus Prime transform and say 'Autobots, roll out !' in a live action film, just put goosebumps down my back. I mean, Optimus Motherfucking Prime !

By the way, I've seen the teasers for G.I. JOE and it appears to be the danger zone of getting possibly the lowest rating ever on RT. I think Sommers got booted ?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My favorite few sentences ...

Of course there's this ...

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but I have to channel my inner dick for a moment.

You are the "optimists" that compel Hollywood to keep putting out mindless crap. If you think it's going to suck, don't go, and maybe, just maybe, Hollywood won't continue to foist tripe in our face.

They will feed us crap until we stop paying for crap. It's as simple as that.

8. outofplace

G.I. Joe is going to suck. I grow more certain of that with everything I read and each trailer/clip/commercial I see.

I loved G.I. Joe and Transformers in the '80s. I started with issue No. 5 of the original G.I. Joe comic and I was there with Transformers from No. 1.

It takes a tremendous level of incompetence to make a live-action G.I. Joe movie and have somebody like me not want to see it, but they are pulling that off. I have mentioned this before, but if you can find it, go watch the cartoon movie that was on Cartoon Network a couple of months back. It was called G.I. Joe: Resolute and it might still be on YouTube. I think any fan of the old comics and cartoons would love it because they captured the characters and spirit of those stories in a much more realistic, bloodier way.

9. outofplace

As I said, I enjoyed the first one. If somebody tells me the second one a far inferior picture to the first, then perhaps I will reconsider my plan to see it. If it is just being ripped by the Eberts of the world, who probably hated the first one as well, that really doesn't dissuade me.

It could suck. It certainly seems like they rushed this one through. But there is enough there (characters and my enjoyment of the first one) to give me hope that this is worth my time and money.

10. Madhavok

Agreed. I watched the 1986 Transformers movie and was amazed how well it holds up today. I mean, you have the death of Optimus Prime, a scene in which probably every kid might have used a curse word for the first time: I think this what I was thinking at the tender age of five: 'Way to go Hot Rod, you effing piece of shit!'.

Some great fight scenes and the bridge from G1 to the second half of G1 characters.

The GI JOE cartoon movie is just as good as well.

What I would LOVE to see is a GI JOE/Transformers crossover movie.

11. Madhavok

That's how I feel as well. It was rushed. Bay acknowledged in some interview I read on Superherohype.com. Speaking of which, thanks to that site adn tf2005.com, I basically know the outline of the movie, who is probably going to die and such. I mean, I've been following the developments of this movie since the fist one ended and I'm not going to lie, I've been depressed at what's been in front of me.
    But I'm still going to see it as a fan of Transformers. Not the Bayformers, but Transformers.

And I could really give two shits what Ebert has to say on Transformers.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just because you liked something when you were a kid doesn't mean you have to fall for cheap nostalgia-driven marketing as an adult.
    I don't get it.
    If I put a turd in a box and call it a Transformer, you don't have to buy it just because you liked Tranformers 25 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted