1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Training

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaherman, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

\

No one is better than P.R. people. And if there are, the P.R. people still try harder.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I merely posed it as a way to get help with the nuts and bolts of newspaper writing. As opposed to reporting. I'm not saying use them as a model for journalism, but this guy has to think outside the box to get the help he's looking for. Besides, there are lots of ex-newspaper people working in p.r. It'd be foolish to think they have nothing of value to tell these students.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

it's hard for young journalists to know when they're being played.

altho, in fairness, i have a fond memory of my SID - a giant in the field - he was very good to me - helped me get my first job - the funny thing was he secretly despised the AD - who was a pompous blowhard - i used the AD for teething - and the SID loved it -

in general it's better to keep a distance from p.r. people - a cordial distance

4. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

Do your best to have examples of good sportswriting on hand at all times and encourage reporters to read as much as possible. See if the advisor will cough up some cash for subscriptions to any decent newspaper that will deliver to your area. Get copies of old BASW to help give reporters ideas for features. In order to learn how to write, you have to read a lot. That's how shit goes, yo.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Maybe I'm off here, but also read non-sports writing... even fiction like classic works of fiction or even best sellers of today. Basically, just READ!

6. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

Yes Dawgpound is right. Just read. Hell, read the back of asprin bottles if that's the only thing lying around. It doesn't have to be sportswriting.

7. boots

boots New Member

Knowing the basics and being versatile are the keys to surviving in journalism. Get those down and you may make a few coins.
    On a side note, have a life outside of the office. It will help you relate to the real world.

8. jaherman

jaherman Guest

Thanks for all the help.

Getting some local journalism professionals to help out at the paper is definitely a goal. As for reading, I always try to give people both sports and non-sports stories to read.

9. absolutley, this is a great suggestion. You should be just as good at covering a University board meeting or combing the books of the Finance officer as you are writing about little Johnny dunking a basketball.

But I'd still hang out with Little Johnny at the strip clubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted