1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train Wreck Television (Today Show this morning)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jan 22, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Who the fuck gave Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paul Abdul the right to judge anyone's talent anyway? A guy who discovered the Spice Girls, a cat who played bass on a shitty Journey album and a Laker Girl turned singer...those ain't the three most talented people in the world.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Keep in mind Simon passed on Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks during the tryouts last season...

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I believe Fox gave them the privilege of judging talent. And I thought it was said earlier that it was Simon FULLER who 'discovered' the Spice Girls....

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This is described in college speech classes as "Ad hominem" or somesuch.
    I remember this Latin term, perhaps spelled slightly different.
    It means "abandoning an attack on the message and attacking the speaker"
    Yes, it sucks when folks do this.
    Simon's a shithead anyway, from the limited times I've seen this show.
    All three of those hosts are actors. They are in it totally for the showbiz aspect.
    Fuck that shit.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Fuck that shit?

BEING rude to Americans can be highly lucrative — and win you their trust. That, at least, is the lesson of Simon Cowell, the caustic judge on American Idol.

It was revealed yesterday that he is paid $98,630 (£53,389) per day, or $36 million a year, for insulting the efforts of wannabe pop stars.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2165953,00.html

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

When he's wearing a mock turtleneck Simon looks like a penis.

YHS, etc

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yes.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Look, the kids or whoever put them up to this had to have an clue that they had no chance in hell of being anything other than a spectacle. Which they were.

Simon is not responsible for that.

Liberals think he is so it makes them feel better about their own psuedo-actions against such things.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Even American Idol has become a platform for the liberal agenda? ::)

Would you mind turning the page once?

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I loved it when the "monkey kid" said he voted for Bush.

YHS, etc

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Huh?

I don't care whose fault it is. Simon, Fox, Paula Abdul. A show that's set up to put mentally handicapped kids getting made fun of for their appearances in prime time for laughs needs to re-examine itself. Nothing liberal about that.

12. Aren't we over-reacting just a little. There's no doubt a majority of the contestants who go on there know they're not going to make it, and they know what Simon, Paula and Randy and the show is all about. If you stink, they're going to tell you that you stink. That's how it goes. And anybody that's spent more than 5 minutes in a karaoke bar knows the vast majority of us can't sing.
    Both guys knew there was a danger of getting ripped, but I thought the show did a decent job of portraying them in a positive light. Was it a little condescending? Sure. But aren't we all condescending when it comes to this, isn't this why we're watching? To look at fools who try out and laugh when they start doing lion sounds or whatever that girl was doing last week?
    And I heard on the radio today those guys now have agents. Doesn't seem to me that they're particularly ashamed, does it?

Draft saved Draft deleted