1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train Travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

and cardsharps

stgpnbrn-newtie1.jpg

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

When I was young I did Chicago to San Diego and back. Took more than 50 hours. I can sleep like a baby on a train and didn't have kids to entertain, though.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As long as they are older than 18 months, kids do well with benadryl and a shot of Wild Turkey.
    Warning: they do not like the taste of Wild turkey.

Wenders likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Speak for your own kids.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe we should start a new thread:

“This Will Not End Well For... Jake Taylor”

Damn, doesn’t rhyme.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty cool. Though I got a chuckle out of this:

Management to ensure that under-sold service is utilized for residency travel spots.

In other words, enjoy your trip to Walla Walla!

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly enough (yes I know this thread is old) I shared lunch with a guy who wrote for theater - a playwright I guess - aboard the Coast Starlight today. First long train ride since a trip from NY to Boston and back years ago. If you are contemplating going by train and the timing works for you - I highly recommend it. Very comfortable seats, only took about 7 hours more than driving direct (and I used that time sleeping and catching up on my reading and Netflix). Air travel is fine once you are in your seat, but between getting there on time and dealing with security lines and checking in etc. - train travel is much, much easier. More room for your stuff and easier to get to. I figure parking is a lot cheaper as well.

Liut likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Glad you brought this back to life, Dan.

Do you know if it's still OK to bring your own beer onboard?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There was this guy who was walking up and down the aisle trying to find his jacket because he had a bag of weed in it - I imagine you can bring it on board as long as you don't consume it in a common area. Bringing your own food on board is another plus.

Liut likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I loved taking the train between Richmond and NYC. That's the only (not subway) train trip I've ever taken in the U.S.

The trains in England were way better, though. So damn easy to get around, and fairly inexpensive, too. I think a roundtrip between London and Brighton was only like 18 pounds.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted